Cd And Dvd Drives Won't Work.

The cd and dvd drives work but i can't use them, When i put a disk in nothing happens, I have been into device manager and both drives are installed but have a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark next to the names. I have uninstalled and the reistalled but nothing happens, The triangle is still there. I have checked all the cables are working, I can't think of what else to do.

It says the problem is :

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

The driver has not been changed, I have searched for other drivers but have been unable to find any.

The cd drive is the most important one i want to get working as i need to back up my computer, the model number is : Samsung Cd-r/rw SW-216b

Have you made sure the jumper settings on the drives are correct??

Are you sure one is set as master and the other is set as the slave depending on the where they are connected to the cable - master at the end of the cable and slave on the middle connector/

Thanks for the help, But i've looked into BIOS and both drives are listed, as far as i know it doesn't matter which drive is master and which is slave, I have checked that both are plugged and nothing seems to work.

This is a total mystery to me as i haven't changed any settings or deleted anything but both drives won't work!

Pretty sure I've got a few knocking about in the shop dude. Won't be in until Tuesday though but you're more than welcome to call in and I'll let you have one FOC (didn't cost me anything so no need to charge you for one).

Thanks Mission, I'll come in tommorow probably around 4ish, Hopefully a new cable will get these drives working. If i can get the drives working i'll buy a couple of CD-Rs and CD-RWs as i was wanting to back up my system just before they stopped working anyway.

Sorry Mission was a bit busy today and didn't get to your shop in time, Is it allright if i come tommorow and collect the IDE cable, Also if you spotted me i walked past your shop at about five, I did have a quick gaze into the shop but the lights where out and you looked like you were busy talking to somebody.

Archived