State Of The Roads

jim

I know its not a new topic but who on earth decided to grit the main road to Douglas from the south during MGP week?

Can any body tell me what gritting actually achieves other than blocking drains, chipping your paint work, and making a slightly dodgy road (probably because they bodged it last time) bloody dangerous, especialy for motorbikes.

Who ever it is that is charge of such things, seems to me to be a little less than competent.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd always assumed it's done to improve the grip of the surface from time to time.

Could be wrong though.

I think what they should worry about more is the fact that half the roads on the island are apprently designed with rollercoasters in mind judging by the ridiculous number and magnitude of the bumps & dents they 'include'.

Main road into port erin/port st mary anyone? Hella bouncy! :angry:

Those roads have been like that for decades :)

As for gritting, it's race week, that's the traditional time to do it, I've seen chippings 2" deep through Kirk Michael and I'll tell you approaching that load of crap on a motorbike with no warning - on a bend, will put skidmarks on more places than the road :(

The people responsible are a sub-committee of the Dept of Transport/Race Organisers 'think-tank' who gather each festival to work out how they can xxxx the most people off for the longest possible time, and say the phrase 'take an alternative route' or 'it's only a few days' without wetting themselves at the rate payers gullability. The top score is to be able to say 'there's a boat in the morning' to anyone who gets shirty.

I give you - leaving the traffic lights running on a hospital access road during racing.

I think it is worthy of special consideration to note that the people responsible for traffic jams could have laid a temporary track on the road leading up to the Noble's roundabout and direct all traffic around that roundabout and back in a loop to go up towards Tromode - without using any traffic lights at all - sheer genius on their part.

I would like to meet these people, for surely they are olympians.

Tonto Wrote

I give you - leaving the traffic lights running on a hospital access road during racing

I take it any emergencies were being flown in by helicopter?

I still think that's ridiculous, you should really ring and write to the department concerned.

Infact you should also write to the minister of that department and your MHKs and demand an explanation.

My delivery driver had a good old whinge about that gritting today, held him up no end.

But seriously, try riding a sports bike on deep gravel, you might as well try riding straight onto Douglas beach.

Did nobody tell them there is a biking event this week???

Was a delight to see this evening too that as I headed towards Ballasalla from Douglas (in a gritted 15mph section) that people coming the opposite way were quite happil accelerating up to around 50 coming even though they were in the 30-40 section and STILL subject to the same temporary limit.

Don't you just love it when expensive paintwork get riddled with stonechips! :angry:

I suspect that the one vehicle that did most damage to cars today, was the ambulance that shot through the chippings at about 70 mph.

OK it did have it's blue lights and horns on, but I suspect there will be a lot of chipped motors about.

Hope the occupant was ok. Better a few chips than dead.

I suspect that the one vehicle that did most damage to cars today, was the ambulance that shot through the chippings at about 70 mph.

OK it did have it's blue lights and horns on, but I suspect there will be a lot of chipped motors about.

Hope the occupant was ok.  Better a few chips than dead.

Fair dues, if it was an ambulance then I would be equally annoyed at having my car damaged from as any other vehicle but atleast I could understand that yes, a bit of paint & a bit of my money is much less important than someone else's health, but when it's just any old bod that simply thinks the rules don't apply to them and they don't give a hoot about others' vehicles it becomes a different matter (as Ray Liotta would say).

I was driving up toward the roundabout as you approach Douglas from Richmond Hill, tons of loose chipping remain in the middle of the road. A lorry driving down the opposite way goes flying through them on the sweeping left opposite the uber-greenhouse, this sends chips all over and into my car. Ended up with chipping all over as I had the roof off that particular day, could of been blinded and seriously hurt to be honest.

Archived