Home Backup Strategy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Livedrive is £35 a year, i've set it up for 3 people at work and they are absolutely delighted with it

Fast, easy to use, unlimited space.

i tried lots of backup solutions including Mozy etc and didn't really get on with any of them. Livedrive has been by far the best investment i have made to secure all my irreplaceable photos and videos

External HDDs and RAID sets are all well and good, i've got a LSI Megaraid Raid controller with 8 x 1.5TB drives in RAID5, but what happens if i am burgled, or there is a fire?

All very unlikely of course, but i like knowing my data is offsite, securely backed up.

All very unlikely of course, but i like knowing my data is offsite, securely backed up.

Yep, I like offsite too. I use google, but have a livedrive account. They're both very good but I like the face recognition from Google.

Yeah, got the card off Ebay a few years ago for £80. Can't complain really. 1.5TB drives fairly cheap nowadays as well

It's used as a media centre, movies, music, house documents etc

Overkill on storage really, but i don't have to worry about running out of space for a few years!

Interesting, how does it deal with a failed drive etc?

The Drobo spreads the data over all the drives, if one fails you just take it out & slide a new one in & it, so with 4TB you only get 2TB actual storage.

It's a bit more than that. I've a 4 bay Drobo and and should have 2.7 TB according to http://drobo.com/resources/drobocalculator.php (my Drobo is at home)

The newer 5 and 8 bay ones would give you a load more

Interesting, how does it deal with a failed drive etc?

The Drobo spreads the data over all the drives, if one fails you just take it out & slide a new one in & it, so with 4TB you only get 2TB actual storage.

It's a bit more than that. I've a 4 bay Drobo and and should have 2.7 TB according to http://drobo.com/resources/drobocalculator.php (my Drobo is at home)

The newer 5 and 8 bay ones would give you a load more

My states 2.7TB, but I can't see how that works though. But it's a great system & easy to use , if a little expensive

2.7 TB from 4 disks is easy.

Assume a 1 TB disk formats to about 930Gb, then if the drobo uses Raid 5 for it's storage this is using 1 disk for the parity and not main storage.

thus you actually get 3 * 930Gb = 2.79TB

seeemples.........

2.7 TB from 4 disks is easy.

Assume a 1 TB disk formats to about 930Gb, then if the drobo uses Raid 5 for it's storage this is using 1 disk for the parity and not main storage.

thus you actually get 3 * 930Gb = 2.79TB

seeemples.........

Ah i see, i did expect it to use RAID5, but the Amazon.co.uk description didn't mention it

"Drobo is the world's first storage robot. Data Robotics. Get rid of multiple external drives. Avoid the complexity of RAID. Attach a Drobo storage robot to your system and let it manage your storage so you don't have to. No software required. No RAID levels. No management or configuration. Drobo does everything for you."

Still, nice and easy i guess - no PC required!

Archived