Hd Media Streaming To A Ps3

So at the moment i dont have a blu ray/HD burner but i have some US TV shows on my hard drive in HD. I dont have a HD monitor on my desktop so i am thinking about streaming them via my PS3 and hoofing big 1080 TV.

I dont have a media server set up on my desktop and at the moment and i just steam mpeg2`s through windows media player which is ok for now, but i want to start streaming the HD stuff.

Is there any recomendations on any streaming software that will allow me to stream the good stuff? and will the content be 720/1080 if it is streamed through the PS3?

Cheers in advance.

nero 8 says it can do it, but i downgraded to nero 7 last year because i think version 8 is pants and i much prefer version 7.

Damn, i have to stop answering my own questions.

HD is no different from what you're doing now. You can stream mp4 just fine using windows media, it's just a upnp share.

I use Twonky, because I find it much faster than wmp.

As to resolutions, that depends on the file. You can have low rez mpeg4's or full 1080p jobs.

The upnp server in Nero 8 isn't that good, tried it and dumped it. It installs all sorts of services and shite.

I was searching for the HD media through WMP but it was not finding it, although it was playing through nero viewer. I might take a look at that Twonky and will have to check what i have saved the media as and convert if needed.

Whats the file name/format?

hmmmm, they are in MKV format at the moment which is prolly whay they are not being picked up. Will have to see if my winavi will convert them to mpeg4

Yah, MKV isn't supported by the ps3. You can just re-container them usually, which only takes a min.

I use PS3video9 or GotSent to recontainer MKV to MP4 which the PS3 can read (it will convert the audio, 5.1 > stereo) or if that doesn't work then MKV2VOB which re-encodes so takes longer.

Archived