Ellen Macarthur

Hugs

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Well she's 5 days ahead and just about to round Cape Horn. When I saw it on the news the day she set out I thought " yeh.....so what?" HOWEVER, I have to confess this record attempt has gripped me. Really.

It's made all the more thrilling knowing that Ellen is rushing home to be with me.

Never mind lesbianism, once you've had fat you'll never go back! GO ELLEN!!!!!

Watch the 10 o'clock evening news on BBC1 tonight for a special report about the team behind Ellen and BBC's James Munro gets an update direct from Ellen about her approach to Cape Horn...

We can toast her while this is on :D

Ellen's latest e-mail: -

We are sailing in 30 to 40 knots right now, and getting very close to our gybe just 45 miles off the coast off western chile. the seas are monstrous, and as i stand in B&Q's cockpit i cannot feel that i shall miss this wild and wonderful place.. somehow the south finds places inside you that you were unaware you had, it conjours up the most vivid memories, shows you the most unbelievable and breathtaking sights.. Behind B&Q there is a rain filled squall - but from behind peepes the setting sun.. the light beams out a rich powerful, dominant orange over the grey darkness of the clouds - it lights the spray flying from the crests of the waves, giving them a delicate, almost furry texture.. how can such a powefil 40 foot wave be so delacate...? As the light gets behind a breaking wave it seems to lift the crest higher.. the striking turquoise colour seems as if it's artificially illuminted from another source - such brilliant colour in an otherwise grey blue sea... A lone albatross circles ahead.. how many passing ships has he seen i ask... a tear comes to my eye - beacuse the albatross we see on this voyage are now numbered, their gracful effortless flight, and constant companionship will have to reamain etched in my mind till the next time...

For all being well...the next setting sun over B&Q will be one as we leave the southern ocean behind...

ellen

Good stuff.

Ellen averaged 5.82 hrs of sleep between November 28th and January 5th

(included). On the week from January 6th to 12th (included), Ellen averaged

only 3.9 hrs per day, bringing down her overall average to 5.54 hrs. If

under normal circumstances this already represents quite a sacrificed sleep

amount (for comparison, during the two-week 2002 transatlantic race, Ellen

averaged 4.2 hrs per day), this low sleep quota has an even more dramatic

impact on someone who is particularly fatigued having been at sea for 50+

days. The most difficult days were January 6th (1.5 hrs sleep only), 9th

(3.5 hrs), and 12th (2.9 hrs).

That's hard going for that length of time and the physical strength she needs. I wonder how quickly Ellen gets back in to a 'proper' sleep routine when she gets back.

From yesterday's Observer. Ouch!

Sunday January 16, 2005

The Observer

'Blood everywhere' as Ellen MacArthur suffers head injury

Record-breaking British yachtswoman Ellen MacArthur has suffered a head injury during her bid to set a new round-the-world solo non-stop record. The sailor said on her Team Ellen website that there was 'blood everywhere' after a blow to the head aboard her trimaran, B&Q. The 28-year-old said part of the sail apparatus had hit her on the forehead. Her back-up team consider the injury to be a minor one and it is not causing her any major discomfort. MacArthur has already suffered a burned and blistered arm on the boat. She is trying to beat the record set by Frenchman Francis Joyon of 72 days, 22 hours, 54 minutes and 22 seconds around the world. Her lead over Joyon is currently just over four days but she is suffering from severe fatigue.

Observer link

At around 1330gmt the tack line of the Solent [headsail] gave way under 30kt winds. The tack line adds tension to the sail and runs from the foot of the sail, via a purchase system, down through a jammer on the deck and into the cockpit. The tack line gave way, the sail whipped back and the retainer line attached to the furler drum reached its max tension, breaking apart the drum casing . Luckily, the sail was not damaged. Time for more DIY when the thing she needs most is rest.

I can imagine this isn't an easy job in the docks, but in rough seas and by yourself.... :o

Archived