Shocking Flight

Hugs

A flight bound for the Isle of Man from Blackpool was struck by lightning at lunchtime today (Friday).

The Flykeen service took off at around 12.30, and got hit by a bolt ten minutes later.

There was damage to a wing of the plane.

In accordance with company policy the captain returned to Blackpool and the passengers were discharged with no injuries.

They flew to the Island on a later flight.

I've been on a plane before that was hit by lightning and never felt a thing. We were jumping around a bit due to the storm and saw the flash of light and thought it missed us until the pilot told us :)

i've been on a plane through a thunderstorm, with the plane shaking around. like you, Hugs, we got hit by lightening but no one felt it. do you think anyone actually could feel it? or does it not affect the people inside?

If it was a big plane, you probably wouldn't notice too much but in the little planes that they use for that flight, I imagine that it would be quite hairy.

I think that I'm a pretty good traveller most of the time but I doubt that I would be very good if something liked that happened on a small plane.

Stav.

I don't think the pilot sits in a cockpit on the Blackpool flight planes and he turns around to talk to you rather than use an intercom.

I wonder if his reaction scared everyone on the flight? I don't think many would be too comfortable if they I heard a few expletives from the pilot during a storm (or at any other time during a flight)!

I did wonder about the shape and the material used for aircraft, did you ever see the Top Gear show where Richard Hammond sat in a VW Golf that was hit by an 8 million volt lightning bolt?

As if driving a Mazda wasn't enough punishment for Richard, we thought it would be a jolly good idea if we tried to kill him with a large amount of electricity. So, we made sure the BBC insurance policy hadn't lapsed, borrowed a Golf and stuck Richard and his shirt in a huge lightning generator. The look on his face when the first bolt hit was priceless.

Stav.

Sorry, just looked it up:

Link: Flykeen Website.

Blackpool route seems to be a Embraer 110 Bandeirante Link: Embraer 110 Bandeirante Aircraft.

Found more:

Flykeen's aircraft leaves Blackpool for the Isle of Man and onwards to Belfast several times a day. Other flights go direct from Blackpool to Belfast. Around 600 passengers a week will be flown across the Irish Sea in our Embraer-110 Bandeirante P1 Jet

Stav.

Archived