Edwardian Life In Film

Hugs

The Lost World of Mitchell and Kenyon

The discovery of 800 short films from the Edwardian era is the basis for this new series. The films have been rescued after lying hidden in a cellar for over 80 years.

Restored to their original clarity, these films shot by pioneering film-makers Sagar Mitchell and James Kenyon now take the viewer into a lost world.

Presenter Dan Cruickshank uses the films to throw new light on Britain at work and play before the First World War.

This first programme shows us life in the new cities as well as the cotton mills and factories, and reveals a vibrant family life through interviews with descendants of people captured in the films. The Boer War is raging but Mitchell and Kenyon are on the spot to film its heroes.

The video clip from the web site above is amazingly clear and non-jumpy. There may be some people on here from the towns that are in the films. Some of the towns I've seen mentioned are Blackburn, Manchester, Birmingham, Blackpool, Morecombe. I think it'll be a great programme to watch. Good stuff.

Ha ha ha ha

I have a new sparkly DVD recorder so I'm OK :)

I'll watch the eviction and record this as I think others will want to borrow this after I've told them about it.

Let me know if you want a copy sent over. No probs :)

Lol. No, I didn't mean it like that. I was just bowled over by your generous offer. It would be great to see it, yes. I have a DVD and video player. Let me know if you still want to send it when you've had a chance to sober up (! :rolleyes: ) and I'll PM you!

:D

LOL. I don't know why you think I've been drinking :o

I think I can afford a stamp for across :) That's providing of course I've sussed the controls correctly on this sparkly thing and I record the correct channel - I have the manual out!

LOL.  I don't know why you think I've been drinking  :o

Just astonished. They're hard folk, here in the Midlands. I suppose I'm used to fighting for scraps at t'kitchen door. Not having nice people do nice things for me.

Did it record? Don't worry if it didn't. We saw the first half of the programme and bits in the break - utterly superb. What an amazing find for the nation.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else see the third and final part last night. There was a shot of a couple of seconds length of Douglas harbour from a steamer coming alongside the outer face of the Victoria Pier you can see some of the houses that overlook the harbour and the briefest poosible glimpse of the fancy'pepperpot' on the end of the old Red Pier, it was meant to be part of the section on emigration where they'd been showing Liverpool, the Mersey ferries and emigrants boarding ships for passage, and somehow a tiny clip of the IOM got in. :)

Archived