10 Year Old Suffers 70% Burns After Sunbed Session

Minnie

Story here.

Aside from the fact that as a mother I always know where my children are and roughly what they're getting up to, I have to agree and think these unmanned tanning salons should be shut down. That's horrific for the poor girl!

Story here.

Aside from the fact that as a mother I always know where my children are and roughly what they're getting up to, I have to agree and think these unmanned tanning salons should be shut down. That's horrific for the poor girl!

Why do you think unmanned studios should be closed? Is it just because kids could use them?

That's a major part of the reason, yes, LDV. Also because they've been proven to be a great risk to your health. I know people use them at their own risk but still in this day and age some don't realise the harm and damage they can do. If tanning salons are to remain open they should be properly manned by someone who can inform you of the dangers involved. If you still choose to use a sunbed after that then I've no sympathy for you.

That's a major part of the reason, yes, LDV. Also because they've been proven to be a great risk to your health. I know people use them at their own risk but still in this day and age some don't realise the harm and damage they can do. If tanning salons are to remain open they should be properly manned by someone who can inform you of the dangers involved. If you still choose to use a sunbed after that then I've no sympathy for you.

They have signs in the salons with this information. If you choose to ignore them then tough.

I think that makes sense in regard to the fact that the manner studios would not allow kids in. This is also an issue of education, however. Tanning is very common and there have been a lot of incidents over the past few years of people burning themselves or getting cancer. The risks need to be explained far more than they are. Though I suspect that many ignore the risks and take a chance, as smokers do.

The tanning studios I have been in have not offered ANY advice. They simply ask how long you want to go in. Not surprising given that in my area the tanned beauties who work at the desk are prune-faced and look like they bake on a bed every day.

Children aren't going to read these signs though are they?

Why not? Too illiterate? Too stupid? FFS do we need to spoon feed and wrap them in cotton wool?

One things for sure - she won't do it again. Hopefully the lesson she will have learned is to read and heed any warnings.

"A sign on the door at the Electrik Avenue tanning centre reads: "Strictly over 16s only."

Children aren't going to read these signs though are they?

Why not? Too illiterate? Too stupid? FFS do we need to spoon feed and wrap them in cotton wool?

One things for sure - she won't do it again. Hopefully the lesson she will have learned is to read and heed any warnings.

"A sign on the door at the Electrik Avenue tanning centre reads: "Strictly over 16s only."

But I think many know this and will take a chance. Yes, they will learn a lesson and not do it again AFTER they have beens severely burned and may have cancer. I actually agree with Minnie, shut them down.

The child is 10 years old for gods sake! Children break the rules not because they're stupid or illiterate but because they know no better sometimes and it's what children do. When something so dangerous to health, particularly the health of a child, is involved then rules and regulations need to be improved so that situations like this don't happen.

The mother has to hold some of the responsiblility because she should know where the child is and what she's up to when she's only 10 years old.

I wonder where she got the idea that tanning was a good idea....

_45724893_burngirl2261wn.jpg

Oh! Her mother is an umpa lumpa!

She should have done as her mother does and try it fake. You look a little on the orange/yellow side sometimes but no serious health risks.

Ah right so. Because a couple kids were naughty and did something stupid it all has to be changed for everyone. That makes sense....

"The mother has to hold some of the responsiblility because she should know where the child is and what she's up to when she's only 10 years old."

Now that makes real sense.

Ah right so. Because a couple kids were naughty and did something stupid it all has to be changed for everyone. That makes sense....

"The mother has to hold some of the responsiblility because she should know where the child is and what she's up to when she's only 10 years old."

Now that makes real sense.

I see where you are coming from actually, though it isn't just a couple of kids. This has happened quite often over the past few years. I do think that these kids are young enough to make informed decisions. At ten you can read and it is their fault if they ignore a Under 16 Years sign. But what can you do to prevent them making use of the beds?

Brat: Mum can I use the sunbed like u? Ur all brwn. I want 2 be 2. (kids these days even talk in text speek)

Umpa Lumpa: No. Now get out of my sight.

Brat: /texts older cousin (who’s age hasn’t been reported) what r u doing? Cming to town?

Cuz: k

Brat: Lets go 2 slaon. I got mny.

Cuz: k

/later at salon

Brat: Kewl no 1 here. Lets go.

Cuz: But is sez no u-16s.

Brat: wha eva

Brat: Im gonna stick all my money in cos I is from the playstation generation and I is got no patience

Cuz: It says do only a 4 min session

Brat: wha eva

/later

Brat: oh no I is got some mild sunburn. I only did it for 16 mins.

Umpa Lumpa: Oh my god. It’s not your fault. It’s the fault of that nasty salon. Don’t worry I’ll contact the press and get it closed down. You never know we may get some compo out of it and some idiots on a forum will argue over it... If one of them suggests you as a future Darwin Award winner we'll sue.

When it's something that can seriously damage a child's health and well-being, yes, I do believe that.

It's a pretty harsh and dangerous way to expect a child to learn a lesson, Mutley.

Edit - that last post you made shows you probably have a similar mentality to a 10 year old.

Archived