Waterfall Pub - Glen Maye

nipper

Many years ago (5 ?) it had excellent food - you had to book in advance for much of season - the size of the fish + chips was famous - then it changed hands and it appears rapidly sank in reputation.

It used to be a gold mine.

I went in shortly after it changed hands, and asked to see the wine list. The guv'nor appeared holding three bottles, and told me he didn't have a wine list and didn't know anything about wine. Or care, it would seem.

That frank admission was the best part of the event. The food was dreadful, and I haven't been back. Why somebody with so little interest in the whole thing should be running a restaurant I cannot think.

S

Why somebody with so little interest in the whole thing should be running a restaurant I cannot think.

I often think that. It's possibly part of the modern phenomenon that convinces people that eg property development and restaurant management are easy because it looks so easy when you see it off of the telly and that. But eventually in practice, reality sets in and the initial enthusiasm soon wanes.

Back in the mid 80's when my mum had it it probably was a gold mine, but it was a managed house and the brewery weren't getting their cut, so we were moved on, they kept the same staff after we left but the food went down hill a bit, until the Breadners took it over they picked it back up but since they left it went down hill rapidly.

I've not been for a few years now, but look forward to being a destination food pub again and not just someones idea of the ideal retirement venture. You have to be doing something well to get people to go all the way out there for a meal.

I told my mum she should buy it, it would be in interesting full circle to go back 20 years later and put her food back in, but there are too many other pubs around the Island doing similar food now so the market wouldn't be there to make it worth while, plus she likes being retired.

Why somebody with so little interest in the whole thing should be running a restaurant I cannot think.

I often think that. It's possibly part of the modern phenomenon that convinces people that eg property development and restaurant management are easy because it looks so easy when you see it off of the telly and that. But eventually in practice, reality sets in and the initial enthusiasm soon wanes.

here here...been a good few examples of that over here...burgundy! clinches!

Agree totally. The hospitality industry here is blighted by a lack of professionalism and quality.

Agree totally. The hospitality industry here is blighted by a lack of professionalism and quality.

One of the prices we pay for the work permit system?

S

One of the prices we pay for the work permit system?

S

Perhaps. But many owners/proprietors and managers of establishments in the industry here are pretty clueless too.

Actually, I would like to see a restaurant called Sebrof's

:)

It would be small, serve only plats du jour made from local ingredients, and the waitress would be as tasty as the grub. On Sundays there would be a roast of the rarest beef. No canned music, of course.

S

Archived