Paris Holiday Tips

Mintchip

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

La Tour Montparnasse is a much more interesting visit than La Tour Eiffel. Much less crowded and you can buy your ticket in advance online and print it out at home.

http://www.tourmontparnasse56.com/uk/

What Rocketmann said about eating where you see locals eating. Go for places with a relatively short set menu. Try the 5th, 6th and 14th or around the Bastille. Never eat in the 7th or the 8th ! Unless it's breakfast in a Starbucks. I know that Starbucks is normally a bit crappy - but the ones in Paris are ok. And free wifi.

While we're on the topic of France, what's nice to do in Nice? Anyone?

I found this if it helps. When i was there we were only passing through but we did stop and eat an ice cream on the beach - sounds quite boring but it was a million miles away from a Davidsons two scoop on Peel beach. The water was so warm and inviting we had to stop further up the road - well just in Italy actually and camp by the beach. I would reccomend visiting Monnaco as it is a spit away and i know that they do tours to and from. Nice really is beautiful.

. Drink Champagne at a beach-bar at sunset. We suggest the Castel Plage just opposite the Old Town

2. Buy a scrumptious gelato ice-cream at one of the most famous ice-cream parlour’s in the world. Fennocchio sells at least 100 different flavours - from your old favorites to tomato and Basil ice-cream and an unusually good Balsamic ice-cream. They are in the Place Rossetti in the Old Town.

3. Walk through the Old Town flower market on the Cours Saleya in the morning. You can buy flowers, fruit and vegetables,herbs and spices, bread, cakes and almost any other type of food. 6 mornings a week except for Monday when it turns into an antiques market.

4. Hike up to the waterfall by the Chateau and look down over the whole of Nice and Mediterranean all the way to Cap d’Antibes. You ‘ll find the steps at the top of the Rue des Ponchettes in the Old Town.

5. If your into the art of the masters - Visit the famous Musee Chagall and the Musee Matisse in the Cimez district of Nice. Bus 15 offers a free shuttle between the Chagall Museum and Matisse Museum in Nice.

6. Walk through the forest n the national park on Mt Boron. Mount Boron is within the city limits, to the east, and on the top is a series of lovely forest walks.

7. Ride the tram to the markets at Liberation. This area of Nice is completely French and the markets are not here for tourists, but for local housewives, who can be very demanding - so the food is well priced and excellent. Get out at tramstop Liberation and you’ll be surrounded by market stalls.

8. Walk through the cool narrow streets of the Old Town during the heat of the day and see the hundreds of small restaurants, bars and specialty shops. See the Palais Lascaris (free admission) and take note on the Rue Droite of the many artists painting and plying their trade.

9. Go for a swim - the waters are some of the cleanest in Europe.

I'd say don't go out of the main touristy places because the rest of Paris, when I was there anyway, was a bit of a dump.

Compared with where? It's one of the nicest cities in the world. And definitely one of the coolest.

But avoid the main touristy areas :)

I'd say don't go out of the main touristy places because the rest of Paris, when I was there anyway, was a bit of a dump.

Compared with where? It's one of the nicest cities in the world. And definitely one of the coolest.

Have you been to Bobigny, Pongo?

Have you been to Bobigny, Pongo?

Yes but that isn't in Paris. Paris is the area inside the périphérique.

If you're into Phantom of the Opera (and even if you're not) go to the Palais Garnier. It's fab.

I found that lots of the sights were within walking distance and easy to find. If you don't want to or can't walk far, we also used the Cars Rouge, open-topped London buses that do circular routes to all the tourist areas with one of those audio guides. You can buy a ticket on the bus that lasts 2 days and you can get on and off wherever and whenever you like.

There are loads of beggars at Notre Dame. All women. And they all looked pretty well dressed to me. All the ones I encountered came up to me and said "Do you speak English?" I found that saying "No, bugger off" and walking away seemed to work.

Everything is expensive, just accept that fact and enjoy Paris without worrying about your CC bill. Having said that, there is a sandwich bar chain (well, 2 that I found) called Berts that does basic stuff that isn't too pricey.

On Sunday Paris seems to be closed.

Enjoy it, I loved Paris, it's brill. :)

While we're on the topic of France, what's nice to do in Nice? Anyone?

There are plenty of lovely squares etc but, if you get bored, take a fast craft to Corsica - by far the most beautiful island in the Mediterranean.

A handy place to stay is the

Timhotel Tour Eiffel

Address 11 rue Juge

Paris, 75015

France

Handy hotel for a Paris trip. The Tour Eiffel being only 15 minutes maximum walk away, lovely at night for a stroll after dinner. Stroll to the corner and to eat at the fantastic Lebanese Restaurant Feyrouz at 8, Rue Lourmel, 75015 Paris Tel: 01 45 78 07 02‎ .

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sour...,254.42,,0,2.51

Best to book though as it's very popular with those in the know - apparently - and justifiably so.

Try to get to the Louvre but go at the most unsocial times as the queues here, and at the other main museums, can be absolutely atrocious.

Walking around costs nothing and there's much to see that costs nothing.

I agree regarding french hotel breakfasts. Eat out it's no more expensive and you get to watch the world go by.

Going to the cinema is always a good thing to do in Paris. There are always masses of movies playing. If it says VO - then that means Version Originale (ie normally English). The Pariscope is the equivalent of Time Out. They do a good cinema experience. They sit quietly and the thing will be in focus. And they don't rush to leave before the credits have played. And the adverts are always interesting.

Back to food: apart from excellent French food - Paris is well known for fantastic North African food.

++ be very cautious if getting pizza. Pizza can be crap in Paris. On the other hand if you Google you can find a couple of places which do really good pizza from proper wood fired brick ovens.

Archived