Paris Holiday Tips

Mintchip

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would recommend that you use the metro for getting about the place (cabs can work out expensive) and also because of the time of year, for any sightseeing make sure that you get there early as the queues at attractions such as the louvre and Eiffel tower can be extremely busy during peak season. Hope you have a good trip!

1. Dont bother trying to speak French(Merci will do) unless your fluent. They just pull a face at your accent and you end up saying it in english anyway.

2. Dont eat on the main routes. The best restaurants are in the side streets where the locals eat .Eat local recipes.

3. Use the Metro ( Underground/tube). Its cheap, bang on time and the best way to see everything. There's pretty much a land mark at each one.

4. Relax. Dont be in a hurry to get anywhere...no one else is.

5. Understand the money and the exchange rate to your own currency. You can get short changed if youre obviously fumbling about with it.

6. Dont let your handbag/rucksack/purse/wallet out of your site. There are profeesional pick pockets working - Like any big city.

7. If you want to go up the Eiffel tower go really early in the morning. Avoid lunch times or dusk, its packed as are the river boats/Notre Dame/Sacre Coer.

8. Visit the galleries( dependent on your tastes) and the public parks. Theyre all fantastic.

9. Dont expect to find bargains ! there arent any in the city.

10. Sit in street bars all day and watch the world go by. It probably will eventually. Always leave a tip !

Visiting Paris mid-July for the first time. Does anyone have any good tips, i.e. restaurants, sight seeing, what not to do, etc.?

Whilst shopping in Gallery Lafayette, stop in the champage bar for a refreshment!

On Rue Lafayette, there is a restaurant called General Au Lafayette. It is a brilliant, traditional, casual French restaurant. Not expensive or stuffy. I would go back in a hearbeat.

If you want a more upmarket eating experience, Boulevard des Italiens has some great places.

Obviously, a trip up Blackpool Tower is a must :) .

Visiting Paris mid-July for the first time. Does anyone have any good tips, i.e. restaurants, sight seeing, what not to do, etc.?

Place de la Concorde and walk along the Champs Elysees, but you'll no doubt do that anyway. I never went but in the Le Marais area of Paris there is a museum which is all about the history of the city. I heard it is really good!

I would also recommend the Musee D'Orsay if you like art - there are lots of famous Impressionist style paintings in there amongst many other brilliant works of art. And the Tuileries Gardens are nice to walk through.

1. Dont bother trying to speak French(Merci will do) unless your fluent. They just pull a face at your accent and you end up saying it in english anyway.

I got shitty looks when I tried asking people if they spoke English. I found it better to say that I did not speak French.

What is good about Paris is that it is so easy to get around and all the touristy places are not too far from each other.

Hope you have a lovely time!

When using the Metro buy a little booklet of tickets. It's called a carnet (pronounced carnay). You get ten tickets and each is valid for 1 single journey. Costs 11.40 Blairos for a book. The official Paris Train site is here

http://www.ratp.info/touristes/index.php?l...amp;page=tarifs

And its in english!!

As for eating out, my personal favourite was Fajitas Mexican Restaurant @ 15 Rue Dauphine. It's small and family run and the strawberry maragritas where bob on! I was walking past and noted that instead of having vinegar on the tables they had bottles of tabasco!! That had me sold before the food arrived!

Oh, and if you're tempted to go to the sewer museum, remember that it's a working sewer!!

Hotel rooms are small and expensive!

Hotel breakfast will probably be a rip off too. Get out on the street and get a plate of ham and egss from a pavement cafe. Much better value.

I got shitty looks when I tried asking people if they spoke English. I found it better to say that I did not speak French.

Ahh, they would. Just speak English. They know you arent french as soon as they see you so just get on with it !

Archived