Shop Assistants And Basic Maths ...

Are you talking about high street stores here? Forget having a bad conscience of coming out £5 or £10 better than you thought. The only thing I would feel bad about is if the shop assistant felt a little guilty for not realising it, but that is supposedly his responsibility.

Mental arithmetic before decimalisation must have been much better for everyone than it is now.

If something cost 3/8 and the shopkeeper was presented a 10/- note, how much change would he/she give?

This was, of course, many years before microchips did the hard work. It all had to be done in the shopkeepers' heads or on paper.

It's 6/4, by the way. (That's six shillings and four (old) pence.)

I find the young people in the Spar at Union Mills jolly good at counting, even when I helpfully try to offer all sorts of coin combinations to such an extent that I confuse myself.

In places where a till is not available to do the arithmetic, the poor dears have to use a calculator even to add up two items. It really is shameful.

They cannot cope with giving change other than what the till tells them to give.

I find it very amusing if I'm buying a few things with cash - I'll have the correct money in my hand long before the till comes up with the figure, and then watch for the look on the check-out assistant's face when he/she is given the right money. :D

Archived