Recommended Reading?

Miss Take

So far have read (the list is entirely dependent on what the local library has on its shelves).

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Was quite shocked by how different this is to Blade Runner. Enjoyed the book, though think overall the film is better. Really liked the idea of the mood organ though - dial a 3 so it will make you feel like dialling!

Fahrenheit 451. I'm slightly concerned by the obsession that many male sci fi writers have with teenage girls. Apart from that it was readable but not particularly enjoyable, though the occasional sentence would stop me in my tracks.

Hothouse. Started off really well. Vivid descriptions of an interesing future. But towards the end it felt really rushed, as though the author was just trying to fulfil a limited quota of words and realised he still had loads to fit in. I'll probably remember the book for a long time though.

Have now found myself diverted into JG Ballard.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Was quite shocked by how different this is to Blade Runner. Enjoyed the book, though think overall the film is better. Really liked the idea of the mood organ though - dial a 3 so it will make you feel like dialling!

Yeah the book is quite different, spending quite a lot of time worrying about materialism and the 'keeping up with the joneses' even when everything else is falling apart. They share similar concepts and the main char has a similar job but aren't really the same story at all. Both stories treat the androids empathy in different ways too, I think the stories work quite well as alternative views on the subject.

Quite amazing that it was written in the late 60's too, some interesting predictions, 24 hour chat show tv, sensory control devices, a virtual reality religion with a grinding task that could almost be world of warcraft.

Try a scanner darkly too, and if you enjoyed Bladerunner, you'd love the movie Moon.

Would recommend Juliet, Naked - Nick Hornby

Listening to the unabridged audiobook at present and liking it.. the print version is worth a look.

Kinda High Fidelity feel to it.. the story revolves around music and a couple finding out that maybe their lrelationship needs more than just mutural appreciation of an artist to survive... sorta thing..

So far have read (the list is entirely dependent on what the local library has on its shelves).

Fahrenheit 451. I'm slightly concerned by the obsession that many male sci fi writers have with teenage girls. Apart from that it was readable but not particularly enjoyable, though the occasional sentence would stop me in my tracks.

Hothouse. Started off really well. Vivid descriptions of an interesing future. But towards the end it felt really rushed, as though the author was just trying to fulfil a limited quota of words and realised he still had loads to fit in. I'll probably remember the book for a long time though.

Have now found myself diverted into JG Ballard.

451 and Androids are books from the golden age of Sci Fi. Both Dick and Bradbury are what I would call Classic Sci Fi writers.

You might look at a few more of their fellows here

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/library/classic_scifi.shtml

As a Sci FI man , just reading 501s Rebublic Commando, Really enjoying Karen Traviss and her view on the whole mando culture, she has done more to bring Boba/Jango Fett & the motley crew of clones out of 1 dimensional film characterisation into some excellent books.

Also just reread Wizard of the Pigeons...by Megan Lindholm well worth a gander if you have a free week

• 4 weeks later...

The Crystalids

• 2 weeks later...
The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Read this a couple of weeks ago and just couldn't get into it. Just didn't like the style, I suppose. I see a film has been made of it that had a rave review from The Independent - might watch that to compare.

Just finished Dr Bloodmoney by Philip K Dick - really enjoyed it, exactly the type of thing I'm looking for - an apocalypse followed by accounts of life afterwards. Highly recommended.

Recommend William Gibson's Sprawl trilogy - Neuromancer, Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive. Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive are available unabridged as audio books at audible.co.uk. Count Zero works perfectly well even if you never read Neuromancer.

The movie The Matrix massively borrows from these novels (and from Philip Dick).

Archived