Wood Stripping/dipping

Blackajah

I have a largeish blanket box which is nice and solid but has been painted. I want to get it dipped or whatever it's called, to bring it back to a wood finish. Does anyone know where I can get this done. Thanks

some bloke called Sumner, Jeff i think?? in kirk michael used to do doors for sure, but i don't know if he still trades or not?? try looking up sumner in the phone book with a kirk michael number and give it a go

I have two doors in my house which the previous owners had dipped. It has ruined them. Gaps, joints gaping, transom coming away from the sides, moldings have shrunk. It's a shame as they are original Victorian doors. They look as though the wood has "died" for want of a better word and I have waxed them a number of times. If it's a good box strip it. I know it takes a bit longer but it's worth it. I am slowly doing that with the rest of the doors and I'm glad, they look wonderful.

does nitromors work ?

Yes, but it costs a fortune, and unless you use a good quality wide scraper you waste hours sanding it anyway. Try it on a modern door and its scrap within minutes.

I would go for a good sanding block and graded glass paper and steel wool everytime.

I have been know to use a blow lamp on a good solid door, but even then its elbow grease afterwards to get the best finish.

I have two doors in my house which the previous owners had dipped. It has ruined them. Gaps, joints gaping, transom coming away from the sides, moldings have shrunk. It's a shame as they are original Victorian doors. They look as though the wood has "died" for want of a better word and I have waxed them a number of times. If it's a good box strip it. I know it takes a bit longer but it's worth it. I am slowly doing that with the rest of the doors and I'm glad, they look wonderful.

Some old doors were never designed to be shown in the raw, they would have been made with fairly cheap wood, then any knot holes or other gaps filled and then painted to cover up the blemishes.

Thats the same reason that so many old houses on the Island are rendered, they were built with rough stone and the render gave them a descent finish.

Paramose Paint Stripper, you can get a huge tin for £25, really easy to use, paint it on, leave for a bit, then you just remove the melted paint, way better than nitromores and cheaper

Not sure if you can buy on island, but you can get it mail order delivered

Archived