Buying From Argos

manxland

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am afraid I do not fully understand the current VAT system and do feel that the huge amount of money spent by Manx residents in the UK should be taken into account by both governments and I can only leave this to politicians. I have never understood why so many Manx born people feel that the UK has been over paying us for years and I wonder if a correct calculation might well show the opposite.

In an ideal world I would love to buy everything local and most of my expenditure is local and I always attempt to buy local before I make a purchase away. However, in my book, charity begins at home. I, along with many other local people and families, have to be very careful to get the best value for expenditure these days. Wages are low and no pay rise at all this year. Were I not to balance my own budget, I could well run up debt and eventually become a burden to the rest of Manx taxpayers by needing benefit support. Sometimes it benefits the rest of society to get real.

I am afraid I do not fully understand the current VAT system and do feel that the huge amount of money spent by Manx residents in the UK should be taken into account by both governments and I can only leave this to politicians. I have never understood why so many Manx born people feel that the UK has been over paying us for years and I wonder if a correct calculation might well show the opposite.

I have never understood why so many Manx born or resident people feel that the UK is trying to do us over (does appear to be a majority of people). After all, its not like we help companies/individuals divert tax away from the UK - the tax revenue they loose probably dwarfs what we collectively spend in the UK.

In an ideal world I would love to buy everything local and most of my expenditure is local and I always attempt to buy local before I make a purchase away. However, in my book, charity begins at home. I, along with many other local people and families, have to be very careful to get the best value for expenditure these days. Wages are low and no pay rise at all this year. Were I not to balance my own budget, I could well run up debt and eventually become a burden to the rest of Manx taxpayers by needing benefit support. Sometimes it benefits the rest of society to get real.

An interesting thought though I'm not sure how you would calculate the money spent off-island by Isle of Man residents. Thinking about my own spending pattern I would say that a significant percentage of my disposable income goes off island simply because the things I buy are better value elsewhere. I recently bought two items of computer equipment saving around £200 by buying on-line. A trip to Ireland got me a tank full of diesel at 1.37 Euros/litre and a bootfull of groceries saved me another £50+. I'd love to be able to buy local but on a fixed (low) income, I have to make economies somewhere...

An interesting thought though I'm not sure how you would calculate the money spent off-island by Isle of Man residents. Thinking about my own spending pattern I would say that a significant percentage of my disposable income goes off island simply because the things I buy are better value elsewhere. I recently bought two items of computer equipment saving around £200 by buying on-line. A trip to Ireland got me a tank full of diesel at 1.37 Euros/litre and a bootfull of groceries saved me another £50+. I'd love to be able to buy local but on a fixed (low) income, I have to make economies somewhere...

Jesus with that lifestyle I would hate to think what someone on an average income spends.I would suggest that everyone on the Island keeps receipts for what they spend off-Island and submits them to the taxman ! That was a joke because of the "Black Economy" and what many people earn that is not declared...

Hi just been into Tesco and seen the sign above the Tobacco till - asked and was told it started today and it is FREE delivery if you get it delivered to the store rather than to your house

Does that include things like sofas?

I rung Tesco direct to order a bed and they said delivery would be £50, they say the free delivery is only on small items

Through a chap in work, I recently got to know a guy based in Warrington that comes over about once a month. Basically, he picks up items if the stores are local to him or you have the items delivered to his house, then he brings them across and charges a small fee £5, £10, £20 etc depending on size & where he has to pick it up from.

I've just had him pick me up a Router from Aldi for £25 and he's charging me £8 to pick it up and to deliver to my house next week.

Can someone start a list of companies that are friendly to the Island? One such is Amazon. The last item I bought from them was a freezer which they delivered to my door free in 4 days. MEA (Ramsey)wanted £30 more for the same freezer but what made me walk out of their door was that they wanted £20 on top to deliver it 2 miles and when I offered to take it in the boot of my car if they would give me a hand, said their staff were "not insured to help customers lift goods". And my MHK tells me that MEA Retail is running at a loss! I am at a loss for words!!

So long as it's direct from Amazon - a lot of the stuff on their site is from traders who don't deliver to the IOM.

But to start your list Matalan deliver here - I ordered some cushions 3 days ago and they arrived today via IOM Post - so no extra courier charge.

Jesus with that lifestyle I would hate to think what someone on an average income spends.I would suggest that everyone on the Island keeps receipts for what they spend off-Island and submits them to the taxman ! That was a joke because of the "Black Economy" and what many people earn that is not declared...

Our government could make a start on this at little cost by requesting a copy of the VAT invoice for new cars that have been bought in the UK, since these will anyway have to be registered here. The rest of the VAT paid off island could be calculated by using a cross section of population who would volunteer to submit all their receipts for off Island purchases.

But I have a feeling that UK based compamies over here like M&S, B&Q and Tesco etc, do NOT pay their VAT to the Manx government but pay it direct to the UK goverment. Please correct me if I am wrong. If I am right, do they also submit paperwork for this enormous amount of VAT to our treasury, as least for records ??

I've just had him pick me up a Router from Aldi for £25 and he's charging me £8 to pick it up and to deliver to my house next week.

Does he do Lidl? They've got an offer on I'd be interested in.

He does all the stores. He picked something up from Lidl for me the other month.

He actually delivered the router for me today. He had come across early due to having a lot to drop off to his customers. He rang me and even brought it to me at work.

Archived