Tt Scaffolding

Monkey boy

I like how they can put bridges up for people who come here once a year and spend money on TT merchandise like they were at Disney (have you been to the grandstand? It's over flowing with mass produced crappy merchandise, merchandise & a little more merchandise, nothing for bikes just TT-T-shirts) but cannot imagine having a permanent bridge somewhere useful like at the QB - it's quite a scary road to cross. Grrrrr.

Well now, I don't know if your post was serious but I assume you realise that the point of the bridges is to get people across the road when the road is closed. It would also seem that you seem to think that the expenditure on these bridges has to be justified by what visiting bikers spend on T-shirts behind the grandstand.

I have said it before on this forum that to speak about the TT in purely financial terms does not do the event justice & is the kind of bollocks that's spouted by people who seem to think the IOM is a public limited company.

The thought of wanting to cross the road AT the QB is also completely lost on me, I cannot imagine a route that would make this necessary & not be able to be avoided by crossing the appropriate road either before or after the junction.

Thankyou to everyone for your information about the scaffolding & the bridges.

• 3 weeks later...

Well now you mention it I've often wondered about the temporary bridges at Bray Hill, Bungalow etc. It must be a hell of a job lifting those fuckers into place, it must take a hell of a big crane. That is if it's not just my imagination that they take them down in the winter, perhaps I just don't notice them without the banners on them.

The the bridge at the bunglow stays all year but the one at bray hill is taken down and stored at the grandstand. Wilson and collins have the job of assembling and deassembling it, they use their mobile crane and the bridge is moved on artics. Takes at most 2hrs to put it up.

I was just wondering what the deal is with the various scaffolding structures in gardens along Bray hill, QB road etc. Are they erected foc by the scaffolding companies (most of which seem to be represented) who may benefit from the free advertising, or are they paid for by enthusiastic householders? And what of the grandstand at Sulby bridge? I assume the gov paid for that one, can't see it being free as it's quite a big job, even though it's plastered with Absolute Scaffolding signs.

Not saying I disagree with any of it, whoever pays for it & you can't blame them for plastering their name all over it, some of them are quite impressive. They all seem to have used their especially shiney bits of scaffolding for the job aswell.

Just curious, that's all.

I hope they are all covered by public liability insurance? Imagine the claims if an accident was to happen and a spectator was injured..... Bet the household insurance wouldn't cover that.

New one being built at Bedstead - the foundations are in place already and this will be a permanent fixture

Think this one is for the new School rather than being just for the TT.

I always thought that when they were planning Governors Hill a road tunnel should have been built under Bedstead to get the traffic from the North of Douglas to Onchan and save that hell of a trip around the access road and through packed Douglas Roads.

Yup, being done for the new school - but IMO there should have been one put up when the estate was first developed

Cannot see what it has to do with the school which will never be open when the roads are closed. All the footbridges are closed off when the roads are open so the pupils will not be able to use it to safely cross the road.

The new bypass from Douglas to Onchan was on the cards a few years ago when they rehashed Governors bridge but certain unelected members of the club in Tynwald didnt think it was needed.

I guess they'll leave this one open all year to save the kids having to cross the road. I would imagine the one outside Ramsey Grammar School is used all year as well. I don't know why they bother closing the other ones, perhaps they've had some jeal on them? Kids dropping bricks on the passing cars etc.? You wouldn't think so though would ya.

I remember the one on Queens Pier Road in Ramsey used to have a sign on it saying "no loitering", doesn't seem to be there anymore though.

Archived