General Election 2011 - Douglas East

Theodolite

A question to Cliff Robertshaw.

At the moment, I'm minded to vote for you as a first choice. This is not because I think you are brilliant but you have shown some realisation of what a state this last monstrosity of a government has placed the IOM in and have publicly said so on more than one occasion.

You've also laid bare some serious shortcomings as regards the treatment of vulnerable children and their families.

And you haven't had a full term to show your colours.

Shortly and succinctly, can you tell me and anyone else interested what you will ACTUALLY do over the next term to dig the island out of the mess it's now in.

I ask ACTUALLY not 'will work for' 'will strive' 'will attempt' 'we need to' and so on.

What will you actually do?

You have asked me for a short answer.

Because of the way our system works - to actually promise to do something in a manifesto would be to lie so the words used are correct even if extremely frustrating (thats why I, like others, want to change the system so that you can vote for a policy direction and thereafter have some confidence it should happen).

There will have to be a significant mindset change in the House of Keys if the sort of thing I propose in my manifesto is going to happen but I believe this mindset change will be forced on it as a result of the economic and budgetary circumstances as they unfold and as reality dawns. I went into some detail so that if you do decide to send me back I will have the votes behind me to push hard.

To pick out two big issues - we have too many departments of government (too top heavy) and our model for economic growth is old fashioned. Both of these MUST CHANGE.

Agreed, the tail has grown bigger than the dog.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived