General Election 2011 - Douglas East

Theodolite

Nice to see at this early stage that there is going to be an election in Douglas East

Sitting members Brenda Cannell and Chris Robertshaw so far have Richard Kissack and Geraldine O'Neill to contend with.

Richard Kissack has been a member of Douglas Corporation this past session. I've not heard a peep from him although to be fair he won't get much media coverage as it appears that David Christian has cornered Isle of Man Newspapers for Council press releases and it does seem that both he and Manx Radio have an affinity to hearing his voice on the national airwaves. Richard clearly knows his place with with King David, and so the likes of Tony Brown and the gang - the professional politicians - will no doubt love to have him in Tynwald and offer him all the support they can. "Hmmm, far better than that awkward Brenda and as for that upstart Robertshaw with all his probing and research...."

I have never heard of Geraldine O'Neill but as a school teacher I am sure there might be plenty of young voters who will place their first ever election cross next to Miss' name. Amazing to think that 11 year olds of today will be casting their vote at the following General Election.

Cannell and Robertshaw will be difficult to dislodge but they are going to have to work these next few months to stay in.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Richard Kissack has been a member of Douglas Corporation this past session. I've not heard a peep from him although to be fair he won't get much media coverage as it appears that David Christian has cornered Isle of Man Newspapers for Council press releases and it does seem that both he and Manx Radio have an affinity to hearing his voice on the national airwaves. Richard clearly knows his place with with King David, and so the likes of Tony Brown and the gang

There's a fair chance you're right, I'm just not quite sure how you can be so certain having only just admitted that you don't know anything about him or his performance in the council.

I'm going to post manifesto's as I find em, anyone object? I think they're interesting to discuss.

Here's Richard Kissacks press release

I am Richard Kissack aged 42, married with 4 children live and work in East Douglas. I have been educated on island and was awarded a degree from Leeds University. I am a businessman and with my wife run a recruitment agency in Douglas.

In April 2008 I stood for Douglas Council for Victoria Ward and was elected unopposed. I have served on various committees in the Council but most enjoyed the Leisure Services Committee which develops and maintains the parks and gardens where I have also served as Vice-Chairman.

The island has been both lucky and shrewd over the last 30 years, a bit like the Manx throughout history, however it is time to raise our game in Tynwald and throughout government. We are facing the threat of another reworking of the VAT agreement to the point where our government loses another big chunk of income, whereby the overgrown and bloated overheads of government can no longer possibly be afforded, this time we must anticipate rather than react. We need to examine the parts of our society which may actually be costly and harmful and see what can be done to save money and improve our society.

As such I believe that the Manx people should elect representatives with strength of character and the resourcefulness to ensure that freedom and truth are defended vigorously. I believe that I have the courage to match such a challenge as well as the personality and intellect to make a contribution to the Keys.

We have some excessively costly infrastructure improvements which have proven to be fundamentally flawed. No matter how much a consultant is paid sewage cannot run uphill naturally. It is doubtful if mere mortals will ever know the full truth of the MEA costs or financial shenanigans that lumbered the whole island into paying mind boggling debts. It should be noted that Douglas Corporation in the 1920s financed the building of a new power station on the rates!

Green energy should be encouraged on any practical scale in every way possible that makes economic sense. I would support lots of small scale projects rather than a grand plan giving many people the opportunity to learn to use renewable sources of energy. After all even if climate change is a reality not a fiction then the island is unlikely to run out of wind and rain and certainly the tides will never stop. As many properties as possible should aim to be energy independent and self sufficient. Grand plans to hook up the island to the UK electricity grid and UK gas main were of dubious value to an island that is geographically separate. Good insulation would seem to be sufficient to vastly reduce heating bills while flat rooves for public buildings seem to be inappropriate.

I believe that there should be an examination of both the government and of the 3rd sector which receives taxpayer funding as well receiving the benefits of charity status to determine what is truly beneficial to the people of the island rather than to the providers of the service.

There is in general a lack of cutomer service throughout government but the contempt for the general public is naked in some 'civil servants'. This is clearly demonstrated by the shocking service levels of some staff at the NSC, the police, children's social services and social security.

I wholeheartedly support the introduction of a Freedom of Information Act with teeth, to limit the time that government can delay a response. Also I object very strongly to secrets being kept on the basis of "National Security" clearly when they are more of a personal and embarrassing nature to the government and I would not discourage morally righteous acts of civil disobedience in regard to this matter. I should also fight earnestly "D" notices inappropriately applied.

Media should be independent simply to maintain home rule as things stand and we should not merely accept the UK media. Attitudes and beliefs along the lines that 'This is the way it is done in the UK' are too subtle and pervasive to be tolerated if home rule is to be maintained and therefore the licence fee agreement with the BBC should be terminated. The money should be kept on the island to finance our own (hopefully independent) media, which should include other media analysis, media criticism and of course investigative journalism.

Health issues and an emphasis on good health and preventative measures should be addressed. Medicine based only on drugs and surgery is limited. We should look for relationships that are not driven by large drug companies to educate our medical staff.

We should insist that incomers to the island with a chronic health problem should pay taxes for several years before the entitlement to expensive healthcare costs which exceeds the tax contributions they pay.

The Isle of Man is a relatively safe place already. Manx people (and the incomers who have fitted in) generally police themselves quite well. It is my opinion that too much state infringement and interference in the lives of people generally and in family life in particular is excessively aggressive and oppressive. It seems that the majority of victims of this state oppression are intimidated and persecuted into keeping quiet and meek. Certainly the genuine fear which victims of children's social services in particular have in regard to speaking out contradicts the assertion that we live in a free and democratic society.

Those who complain that we are swamped by crime and say that "We need more bobbies on the beat" and cry for more CCTV to keep us all safe do not understand that these measures are likely as not to make our society worse not better.

Government has been successful to some extent in encouraging a varied economy and this is to be admired and heartily approved of. We should actively participate in helping this and all of us take responsibility in aiding Isle of Man plc.

I would congratulate those parts of government which are run in a fully conscious and business like fashion aware of the consequences and opportunities outside government.

There should be another re-organisation of government in the Isle of Man and due consideration should be given to transferring as much responsibility as is sensible to local government. Certainly the island seems a small place to have 24 separate local authorities and this situation is long overdue for revision. Some amalgamation of the smaller parish councils would enable some greater transfer of responsibility to local government.

Nor is the management of the Villa Marina, NSC or the buses really a necessary central government function.

He's certainly kept his head down, but that could be an indication he's been quietly doing a good job?

whereby the overgrown and bloated overheads of government can no longer possibly be afforded, this time we must anticipate rather than react. We need to examine the parts of our society which may actually be costly and harmful and see what can be done to save money and improve our society.

We've mentioned this already, but that's a brave thing for any candidate to say given the proportion of public sector voters. He's right, it does need examining closely, but that should be an ongoing thing not a kneejerk to any VAT changes.

Green energy should be encouraged on any practical scale in every way possible that makes economic sense. I would support lots of small scale projects rather than a grand plan giving many people the opportunity to learn to use renewable sources of energy. After all even if climate change is a reality not a fiction then the island is unlikely to run out of wind and rain and certainly the tides will never stop. As many properties as possible should aim to be energy independent and self sufficient. Grand plans to hook up the island to the UK electricity grid and UK gas main were of dubious value to an island that is geographically separate. Good insulation would seem to be sufficient to vastly reduce heating bills while flat rooves for public buildings seem to be inappropriate.

Hmm. He nearly had me here, but 'even if climate change is a reality and not a fiction' does my nut in. Does anyone else think gas mains and electricity cables to the UK are of dubious value? I'd have thought they were vital to offer energy security. He wanders off a bit here, so what about insulation? Your right, but what are you going to do about it beyond the current grants and building regs system?

I believe that there should be an examination of both the government and of the 3rd sector which receives taxpayer funding as well receiving the benefits of charity status to determine what is truly beneficial to the people of the island rather than to the providers of the service.

Anyone understand this?

There is in general a lack of cutomer service throughout government but the contempt for the general public is naked in some 'civil servants'. This is clearly demonstrated by the shocking service levels of some staff at the NSC, the police, children's social services and social security.

Again, after a promising start, it's dropped into finger pointing. Are the police service levels clearly demonstrated? Where? What needs to happen to improve the attitude of public sector workers?

Media should be independent simply to maintain home rule as things stand and we should not merely accept the UK media. Attitudes and beliefs along the lines that 'This is the way it is done in the UK' are too subtle and pervasive to be tolerated if home rule is to be maintained and therefore the licence fee agreement with the BBC should be terminated. The money should be kept on the island to finance our own (hopefully independent) media, which should include other media analysis, media criticism and of course investigative journalism.

Brrr. I can't see this going down well should the BBC cut off the island, just as with TV over IP they're even more empowered than ever to do so. Doesn't seem well thought through. Perhaps a renegotiation of what we get from the license fee would be more appropriate?

We should insist that incomers to the island with a chronic health problem should pay taxes for several years before the entitlement to expensive healthcare costs which exceeds the tax contributions they pay.

I've no idea how this works currently, how long does someone have to live here and what status do they have to enjoy free healthcare?

Agree with the central government stuff at the bottom.

"I believe that there should be an examination of both the government and of the 3rd sector which receives taxpayer funding as well receiving the benefits of charity status to determine what is truly beneficial to the people of the island rather than to the providers of the service."

Clear as mud.

The third sector usually means the voluntary sector, but he desperately needs to explain that statement with an example of a voluntary organization in receipt of taxpayer money.

Richard Kissack has been a member of Douglas Corporation this past session. I've not heard a peep from him although to be fair he won't get much media coverage as it appears that David Christian has cornered Isle of Man Newspapers for Council press releases and it does seem that both he and Manx Radio have an affinity to hearing his voice on the national airwaves. Richard clearly knows his place with with King David, and so the likes of Tony Brown and the gang

There's a fair chance you're right, I'm just not quite sure how you can be so certain having only just admitted that you don't know anything about him or his performance in the council.

Hold on there VinnieK, it's not like you to be so inaccurate.

I said, after referring to him being a Douglas Corporation Councillor, that I hadn't heard a peep from him and then went on to mention the Corpy mouthpiece/dictator/'Leader'.

Actually I do know Richard and a bit about him, and I have to say a pleasant chap he is too.

I know he is ambitious and for example, joined the freemasons (as you do) and I know he got in under a Liberal Vannin ticket and then did a Malarkey-Malarkey.

Is there anymore I need to know?

edited to add:

Good luck to him, but he is going to have to step up a few gears if he is going to persuade me to vote for him in preference to the standing MHKs.

I know he is ambitious and for example, joined the freemasons (as you do) and I know he got in under a Liberal Vannin ticket and then did a Malarkey, Malarkey.

That's a little unfair if he was uncontested.

I know he is ambitious and for example, joined the freemasons (as you do) and I know he got in under a Liberal Vannin ticket and then did a Malarkey-Malarkey.

That's a little unfair if he was uncontested.

I'm not talking about the Corporation. He has had his eye on the Keys for a while. I understand he joined the handshakers only quite recently. If this is not true I am prepared to retract and put one of his election posters up on my wall to make up for it. And vote for him.

He followed The Malarkeys, Carol and Bill. He needs to live with that although he has tried to throw some sort of fig leaf by saying he agrees with some of the Liberal Vannin Policies. Don't we all.

Nice bloke as he is, he is not National Politician material.

I'm not talking about the Corporation. He has had his eye on the Keys for a while. I understand he joined the handshakers only quite recently. If this is not true I am prepared to retract and put one of his election posters up on my wall to make up for it. And vote for him.

He followed The Malarkeys, Carol and Bill. He needs to live with that although he has tried to throw some sort of fig leaf by saying he agrees with some of the Liberal Vannin Policies. Don't we all.

Nice bloke as he is, he is not National Politician material.

Oh I see what you mean, ta for the explanation.

Peter Karran is not a hopeless fool who managed to get somewhere on someone else's coat tails and then shat on them.

OK I grant you he may not have sat on someone else’s coat tails and then "Shat" on them but it was rather hypocritical to complain about people standing under one banner and then changing allegiances whilst elected and not resigning when he has done so at least twice.

To be honest at the last election I do not know how anybody could stand under a LVP as at that time it was in its infancy and seemed to have no coherent structure, set of policies etc. It just seemed to be a name that PK could stand under and call himself leader.

In my view virtually everybody at that time who stood under that banner did so probably on the back of a few promises without really understanding what the LVP was going to becomes. It is not surprising that subsequently a few fell away when things were firmed up although nearly 5 year after the party was formed I am still struggling to understand the party’s ideology. Is it essentially right wing, left wing, liberal. All I get is it wants change and openness and accountability

Constituency Details - Douglas East

In 2006 the successful candidates were Brenda Cannell and Phil Braidwood. Braidwood was bumped upstairs to the Legislative Council and an acrimonious by-election was held in 2010, which was won by Chris Robertshaw. Both MHK's are running again, with two new challengers.

Manx Radio

Wikipedia

2006 Election

Epic By-Election Thread

Candidates Declared

Chris Robertshaw MHK (Positive Action Group)

MF identity: Chris Robertshaw (formerly Fotysdene)

Manx Radio Page

Brenda Cannell MHK

Manx Radio Page

Wikipedia Entry

Tynwald CV

Richard Kissack (Douglas Councillor) Former member of Liberal Vannin Party

MF Name richardkissack

Manx Radio Page

Council Page

Geraldine O'Neill

Manx Radio Page

==================

Note I'll try and keep updating this post with links and information as the thread and the election develops.

=======Original Post ======

I'd suggest a distinction needs to be made between the councillors who jumped ship and Malarky. The councillors left because the party wouldn't include them in the internal decision making process.

"They’ve stood down citing a lack of confidence in the performance and commitment of the Liberal Vannin's unelected executive."

source

And don't forget that Carol Malarkey was one of the Councillors. At least some if not most of those Councillors were spineless sheep.

Archived