General Election 2011 - Douglas East

Theodolite

I'm presuming that's sarcasm, but if it isn't I've already posted it — go back to page four.

No it was clearly sarcasm, I did think that all 4000 words made you look like Barrie Stevens but it was a really rivetting read.

Here is the main link again:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/archive/2005/09/30/The+Argus+Archive/6805249.Manx_Tory_s___3k_expenses/

So if you do get voted in (assuming you stand) will you be moving on quite so quickly again?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part time Politicians would definately be a regressive step.

Take us back to the 60's, 70's when the behind the scenes machinations would make TBs admin look like paragons of openess.

We need as many of the 32 commiting full time to the running of the Goverment as possible.

Part time Politicians would definately be a regressive step.

Take us back to the 60's, 70's when the behind the scenes machinations would make TBs admin look like paragons of openess.

We need as many of the 32 commiting full time to the running of the Goverment as possible.

Who mentioned part time politicians? We need a team of strong personalities with a range of skills to move the island forward.

"Theyve stood down citing a lack of confidence in the performance and commitment of the Liberal Vannin's unelected executive."

source

And don't forget that Carol Malarkey was one of the Councillors. At least some if not most of those Councillors were spineless sheep.

Theo,

Before making comments such as spineless and sheep, maybe you should sit down and have a chat with me about the reasons for leaving LV.

Sheep - you all followed the crowd. You joined. You left. En masse. You could not have been sure why you joined or even why you left - sheep.

Spineless - if you have a problem with the organisation you have nailed your colours to the mast with, try changing the organisation. It's called loyalty. Easier to just leave - spineless

Nobody is spineless who puts themselves forward for election, there is the real fear of being rejected by the public and no-one truly knows how people will react as well as the sometimes vicious criticism, often completely unjustified.

For myself I was elected unopposed to Victoria ward so you will have a job telling me the name of anybody who voted LV and felt cheated when i left the party.

The dream i had bought turned to be an impossible slog where i was expected to prioritise LV more highly than i could ever justify or even wanted to. I was a representative of the people of Victoria ward not of the LV executive. It turned out to be a mistake which i corrected. That is life.

Nobody is spineless who puts themselves forward for election, there is the real fear of being rejected by the public and no-one truly knows how people will react as well as the sometimes vicious criticism, often completely unjustified.

For myself I was elected unopposed to Victoria ward so you will have a job telling me the name of anybody who voted LV and felt cheated when i left the party.

The dream i had bought turned to be an impossible slog where i was expected to prioritise LV more highly than i could ever justify or even wanted to. I was a representative of the people of Victoria ward not of the LV executive. It turned out to be a mistake which i corrected. That is life.

Well said Richard, its far too easy to hide behind a name on here and make un-founded accusation with no actual knowledge of the events surrounding the mass leaving of LV.

If Theo was to ever be bothered to talk to either myself or Richard he would find that neither of us are spineless or sheep.

How we all joined en-masse, confuses me, as I had never met any of the other ex LV Council members prior to attending a public meeting at the Liverpool Arms (I met Sara Hackan) I only met the other LV members after being elected, also un-apposed.

As for leaving on-Masse, so we all shared a feeling of frustration and un-comfortableness around different issues. I suppose one member choosing to leave was a catalyst for other members to also make that choice. Even though we are Local Authority members we still have a freedom of choice to represent our ward in the political manner we so choose, whether that be Labour, LV, Raving looney Party or Independant.

We may not be in the paper every week making remarks on issues, but it does not mean that we do not participate in Council meetings. I have known Richard to be decisive and understanding,

so Theo... maybe you should stick to facts that you actually have full understanding of.

John, I would be happy to speak to you but I'm not sure if I would be fed just more BS.

For example, you have stated on this forum that you have never had a free drink off the Council other than a Coke or something. And yet at your first freebie, you were seen swigging out of a tin of lager in the Mayor's Parlour. To expand on that incident, it was quietly explained to you that in the Mayor's Parlour that it is not the etiquette to drink out of the tin.

"Well things are going to change round here" said John, with probably more than a little bravado fuelled by the Carlsberg and the occasion.

Hmmm, I thought, this lad is just what is needed around here. Unfortunately Just John soon found his place and learned to walk in step behind King David.

Richard's explanation to my comments, is a little better thought out and dignified. I will say though, that I respect anyone who puts themselves up for election, for whatever reasons. I do agree that I would have a job finding anybody who might have voted for you (had there been an election) on account of you being LV at the time.

I would however, be quite capable of taking on that challenge regarding the people of Douglas South who voted for your fellow mutineer, Bill Malarkey, on account of his then being Liberal Vannin. Of course, he likes to say that there are people who didn't vote for him on account of being LV. I take it that he reminds himself of this little statement, crass as it is, before he tries to sleep at night.

I can honestly state that I have never seen John drink alcohol. So I do not understand your story about the can of Carlsberg. Did you see this first hand yourself or did you hear from a friend of a friend?

Theo You are being obtuse in trying to smear us all with the Bill Malarkey label.

We left LV but did not join the Malarkey party, we became independents.

There are lots of old lags who have been members of all sorts of parties in Tynwald and local government.

How many at some point been a member of Labour, Mec Vannin, Manx Nationalist, Liberal Vannin and perhaps even fo thalloo at some time? It is natural at some point of your political life to think that other people can feed into your political ambitions in a structured way but then you figure out that you are part of someone else's plan to be your organ grinder while you are fed nuts.

Theo You have not asked about my attendance record on the council and the committees i have been on why not?

Richard, I'm not too bothered what you can actually say about John drinking alcohol. Actually, I saw it first hand and overheard him being politely told about supping out of the tin. I also heard his rather insolent retort. I couldn't be bothered searching before, but the incident was related - albeit in a facetious manner - in this thread

Sorry if you feel I am being obtuse 'smearing' you with the Bill Malarkey label. But the very sharpest knife in the box would hardly see it any differently.

Yep, there are old lags everywhere that have left parties. Not many that nailed their colours to the cross for a few weeks then ripped them down as soon as they were safely in though. In fact I would say that what you all did is unprecedented, certainly considering there were so many of you. And all, as the election transpired, safely walked into your seats unhindered. (Sara Hackman excepted, who deserves credit for unseating the candidate who had already been chosen for Mayor).

And erm, regarding your attendance or otherwise at various committees etc, I don't have the faintest interest.

Just for the record, I understand that Carol Quine in Castletown has been an active member of Liberal Vannin for quite some time. She is now standing as an independent. I doubt she will be getting as much, if any, of the stigma you and your fellow 'Malarkey Party' politicians will have to endure.

As a hopeful politician, you surely realise that there's a way of doing things.

Carol Quine is probaby standing as an independant because when she stated that she would be standing, she was told by LVs executive to wait for the vetting and selection process to run its course. This despite her long term membership of LV.

One could conclude from that, that LV would like to decide who can and who cannot run as a candidate for the Keys? Albeit that LV would argue 'in the name of LV'.

I was a member of LV and you can conclude from the tone of this and other postings why I left.

Either there is a vetting process or there is not. There would be the usual uproar if she was selected on the nod, just because of her unstinting support previously.

I think this election shows why party politics might be a good thing, as we are too close to the personalities and I can count on one hand how many I would vote for. Half a dozen people running our Government ain't gonna work is it?

...hmmm, or is it?

Carol Quine is probaby standing as an independant because when she stated that she would be standing, she was told by LVs executive to wait for the vetting and selection process to run its course. This despite her long term membership of LV.

One could conclude from that, that LV would like to decide who can and who cannot run as a candidate for the Keys? Albeit that LV would argue 'in the name of LV'.

I was a member of LV and you can conclude from the tone of this and other postings why I left.

Congratulations on your fortunate escape and welcome back to planet earth.

Archived