Electric Railway To Extend Along Douglas Promanade?

spermann

It's true that most people don't come just to see the horse trams in the same way that most don't come just to see the MER and steam railway. They also don't come just for the Laxey wheel, or Peel Castle. All these things and many more are all part of the overall package that we have to offer. In my opinion, if you start chipping away at the edges you'll soon end up with very little left to attract some of what is already a dwindling pool of possibhle visitors.

That's mostly true, though I think that the Steam Train, MER and 'Story of Mann' will attract some people separately. But not every element of the package is essential and of course items may be being added to or subtracted from it all the time. It may be worth maintaining the Horse Trams as at present - that's basically for the Corpy to decide. What basically isn't worth it is spending millions extra in a redesign of the Prom just so as to retain the current situation - especially as I suspect that will make any reconstruction much more difficult and inconvenient for all concerned.

In any case you may find a cheaper alternative such as a land train may do the job just as well and be as popular.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just asking...

Can the horse drawn trams and the electric railway trams use the same lines?

I've seen lots of different viewpoints and there's some interesting points made for and against such schemes, but working on one principle that rails will be added or retained along the prom, then if the wheels of the horse drawn trams are the same width as the electric trams, then it leaves options for both.

Just asking...

Can the horse drawn trams and the electric railway trams use the same lines?

I've seen lots of different viewpoints and there's some interesting points made for and against such schemes, but working on one principle that rails will be added or retained along the prom, then if the wheels of the horse drawn trams are the same width as the electric trams, then it leaves options for both.

Horse Trams and Electric Railway both run on a 3ft gauge

Archived