RSJ Fitting

cheesypeas

I want to take out a wall between a kitchen and a reception room to open it all up.

We will need to fit an RSJ. Two questions:

1. do we need planning permission?

2. Anyone know (recommend) anyone who can do the building work?

Thanks

Hi, you will need a structural engineer to do the calculations and drawings for the RSJ which you have to submit to the Building Control office. I had to do for mine the same. The engineer did his part and I went myself to Building Control office and paid the fees. Saved a lot of money this way.

As for buliders, it's a tough one! As they need to be insured to do the work due to the RSJ, I've started my search for one in April and I am still searching. None of the ones that came to see the site had the decency to give me a response and a quote. They all came to see what the work involves, but because it is a small-ish job, they never called back not even to say: "sorry, can't do it, or can't be asked to do it!"

I am still hopeful that there will be someone out there who will be decent to commit to do the job. I will let you know if I find someone reliable but if you find one before me, also let me know, please. smile.png

Hi, you will need a structural engineer to do the calculations and drawings for the RSJ which you have to submit to the Building Control office. I had to do for mine the same. The engineer did his part and I went myself to Building Control office and paid the fees. Saved a lot of money this way.

As for buliders, it's a tough one! As they need to be insured to do the work due to the RSJ, I've started my search for one in April and I am still searching. None of the ones that came to see the site had the decency to give me a response and a quote. They all came to see what the work involves, but because it is a small-ish job, they never called back not even to say: "sorry, can't do it, or can't be asked to do it!"

I am still hopeful that there will be someone out there who will be decent to commit to do the job. I will let you know if I find someone reliable but if you find one before me, also let me know, please. smile.png

you sound like the kind of guy i would run a fucking mile from,i cannot stand smartarses, and yes i was a carpenter/builder for 40+ years!

you sound like the kind of guy i would run a fucking mile from,i cannot stand smartarses, and yes i was a carpenter/builder for 40+ years!

I sound like a guy but I might not look like one or even be one!... It is your problem if you can't stand smartarses! .. thanks, you proved my point made at paragraph 2.... times have changed, I am afraid, Sir, and you have to accept that! all the best to you...

chip . py

informal

Noun BRITISH

1. a fish-and-chip shop

2. a carpenter

adjective

(of a person) touchy and defensive especially on account of having a grievance or a sense of inferiority.

Hi Cheesypeas

Mrs Offshore and I had our house refurbished earlier this year including taking out walls, chimney breasts etc and installing concrete lintels. We used DRS Ltd as a one stop shop. Very pleased with the standard and cleanliness of their work, price and courtesey of their staff/trades. Building Control Officer also said he rarely saw such a good standard of work.

Thoroughly recommended. We will use them again once got some money in the bank to do further works. Costs came in at less than 1% over budget and they were able to suggest and agree various cost savings on site as well as recommended additions.

Contact Gary Crompton 438299. Director of DRS and also Cromptons Architectural Services.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Archived