Travel Camera Recommendation

Rhumsaa

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DSCHX50-Compact-Digital-Camera/dp/B00CH08M0G

I have this one. I think it's the same but without NFC. Welcome to try it before you buy your own.

Thanks for the offer - what's your thoughts on using it?

ScotsAlan - thanks for all the posts. Simply put my Canon is too big for me to transport round on holiday when photography is not my primary interest on the trip

ScotsAlan - thanks for all the posts. Simply put my Canon is too big for me to transport round on holiday when photography is not my primary interest on the trip

Understood.

Difficult to beat the iphone camera in that case.

I have thousands of bucks worth of stuff... the best travel camera... an iphone with a few apps.

I have this one. I think it's the same but without NFC. Welcome to try it before you buy your own.

I have this camera, stunning zoom.

Thanks

Any other comments? good or bad

Thanks for the offer - what's your thoughts on using it?

I'm by no means an expert I'm afraid. I bought it as I've decided to sell all my larger pro stuff which I bought on a whim while we were doing motorsports in the UK, and really love it. Simple to use, battery life is good, simple to transfer photos, really good zoom, large screen, 20mega pixels and really great quality movie footage. Don't like the fact that it hasn't a viewfinder as sometimes in bright light it can be difficult to center a shot, but not many have them any more. Really love it.

I have an older version of the Sony. In good light the quality is superb, but as soon as light levels fall, noise becomes a big problem. I don't know if this version improves low light performance. Daytime video quality is also excellent.

I have an older version of the Sony. In good light the quality is superb, but as soon as light levels fall, noise becomes a big problem. I don't know if this version improves low light performance. Daytime video quality is also excellent.

That's definitely a concern but it feels like it is a frequent issue with any "compact" camera? I can't recall seeing one that excels at night

Yes, not many will excel in low light. I've just sold all my gear and bought one of the Olympus MFT cameras, the OM-10 Mk11. I used it on holiday and am well impressed with it. Fitted with the pancake 14-42mm lens its pocketable and quality is superb. I'll post up a night time picture when I get home.

ah yeah I think I saw a fella using one of those (or like it) last year on a film project. He was taking some stunning photos (he was a talented photographer though).

I was tempted but the price put me off as I am not looking to replace my Canon at present as it serves my proper photo taking purposes and HD video requirements well, just wanted a travel option.

Archived