Travel Camera Recommendation

Rhumsaa

Hello

I have a Canon 550D which suits my photographic needs perfectly. However taking it and the 2nd lens away on holiday is a bit of a task and I feel like a total tourist snapping away with it.

I want something that is more compact and travel friendly but doesn't still provides decent enough images. I am never going to give the dedicated amateurs a run for their money on photographic skill I just want some nice holiday images.

Recommendations welcome.

Thanks

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about a rugged, compact camera like an Olympus Style Tough TG-4

I had an Olympus 8000 tough camera and loved it. Being waterproof it was great for use on beaches and in swimming pools to record my daughter's progress in learning to swim...cool.png

I had an Olympus 8000 tough camera and loved it. Being waterproof it was great for use on beaches and in swimming pools to record my daughter's progress in learning to swim...cool.png

4x optical zoom is a bit ltd is all

I doubt I'd use the water aspect.

That Samsung GD4ELI linked to has 21x optical zoom which seems 1nsane

That Samsung GD4ELI linked to has 21x optical zoom which seems 1nsane

or the Nikon 83x optical zooooom is out of this world :lol:

I was thinking of the "tough" aspect mainly as these things can take the knocks that sometimes happen when you (you in particular actually) go on an intrepid adventure....

I was thinking of the "tough" aspect mainly as these things can take the knocks that sometimes happen when you (you in particular actually) go on an intrepid adventure....

I don't always go on crazy holidays you know

• 2 weeks later...

I lust after a Fuji X-T1. Or a Fuji X100. Any version of it.

However.... if you already have a 550D and a lens you like, why not take that? I travel with a 5D3 and 24-70 f2.8, laptop, flash.. and depening on the destination, I might add a 50mm f1.2 or the 70-200 f2.8.

It's worth the effort I think. Your regular camera can be your travel camera.

post-22562-0-95975000-1456590512_thumb.jpg

Better solution. Get the canon EF40mm f2.8 STM pancake lens and put it on your 550D. It's a cracking lens you can use as part of your "main kit" when you go out to take photos as part of a mission.

When I head out on my ebike with my daughter at the weekend, I take a 60D with the 40mm pancake. It slips into the feece pocket no problem.

This is a screen grab from a laptop. So the detail is not there. But for a hundred quid lens with a backlit subject, the performance is bloody good.

post-22562-0-77212700-1456591547_thumb.jpg

Problem I have with travel photography, is not the equipment. It's my courage to get the photo I want. A small camera and a small lens are winners on this. A big camera and a big lens can lead to financial demands from the subject. But wide anlgles are a must for travel. Adds drama. Point to camera... thumb up.. point to them. A screen grab of an urban wannabe bike gang in china.

post-22562-0-83120000-1456593160_thumb.jpg

Archived