Mountain Course Laser Scan

Storris

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1669324602/snaefell-mountain-course-3d-laser-scan

Some interesting info from the kickstarter, the number of backers, and where they came from an % of total pledged so far. I'll update this daily/at % milestones.

We're over 5% so updated stats.

forum.projectcarsgame.com - 21 - 45.42%
members.iracing.com - 7 - 18.63%
assettocorsa.net - 5 - 7.84%
reddit.com - 2 - 6.54%
twitter.com - 1 - 4.90%
manxforums.com - 1 - 3.27%
forum.piboso.com - 1 - 1.63%

External - 6 - 9.31%
Embedded widget (!?!) - 1 - 1.63%
Kickstarter - 1 - 0.82%

I created a Kickstarter to collect track data through a 3d Laser Scan. The resultant data will be distributed via the many gaming forums, free of charge to everyone who wants it in the hopes that we can finally get the racetrack that many of us 2 & 4 wheel racers have been longing for.

Similar, but scanned with lasers to +/3mm accuracy. JP's put in 10 years of work so far, and from the looks of it he's doing an incredible job, but it isn't coming anytime soon to anyone that's interested in it.

Similar, but scanned with lasers to +/3mm accuracy. JP's put in 10 years of work so far, and from the looks of it he's doing an incredible job, but it isn't coming anytime soon to anyone that's interested in it.

I think the developers from Gran Turismo 7 have already been collecting this data.

I've seen the scan car and I've also seen a a few people taking photos for the modelling.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/isle-of-man-tt-course-to-feature-on-playstation-s-gran-turismo-7-1-6747127

I think the developers from Gran Turismo 7 have already been collecting this data.

I've seen the scan car and I've also seen a a few people taking photos for the modelling.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/isle-of-man-tt-course-to-feature-on-playstation-s-gran-turismo-7-1-6747127

Won't be made publicly available though.

I saw two scanning cars

And saw a few bods taking photos at the grandstand.

Maybe there will be an announcement at the gt sport event or e3 coming up

Thanks to Nathan for the support, our first Manx Forums backer.

Slinky & Spanna,

As far as I can tell from what has been published about the GT7 story, quite a bit more has been read into what's been written and seen, than is actually the case.

There were certainly guys over here collecting some data, but the cars were not fitted with scanners. Possibly with high-speed HD video cameras, but not 3d laser scanners.

<i>If</i>, it should be the case that it was scanned <i>and</i> that it is coming to GT7, this still doesn't represent much change for the purposes of our project. They wont be releasing the data publicly, so there wont be an opportunity for PC based sims like pCars, AC or rFactor to make use of it. It could certainly be 'pirated', but there wont be any high-quality officially supported releases, no official races, no official leader boards etc...

This is where we come in.

Archived