Nobles Car Park Charge £5 per hour?

manxy

EDITED TO ADD

Please see this link instead Kates Wish List

I was passed this farcebook link which made the following statement

https://www.facebook.com/Nobleshospitaliom/?hc_ref=ARQeJvu9Jiu6j1oH8XyT49HLSt2n5NLtCRVqySWCgriE_wng43ggMnmEQDZB0Vx-Kd8&fref=nf

"I've just heard that Kate Beecroft is progressing a move to charge £5 per hour to park on all Dhss Properties including the hospital, this is scandalous, please spread the word and hope we can stop it"

There have been many comments in the article and at the moment, it still comes down to 'ifs' or other unproven fact.

This may possibly be a load of twaddle, but lets see how this develops and if anyone can shed some light on the comment, then I welcome your involvement

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wouldn't surprise me at all if people are parking at the hospital for free and then getting the bus into town.  I frequently visit the hospital, and if I arrive before 9 am or after 5 pm I have no trouble getting a spot, but if I arrive in the middle of the day, say for a lunchtime meeting at the postgrad centre, I find the main car park full, the overflow car park full, the A&E / MEDS car park full, and I have to go as far afield as the Palatine Surgery car park, park there (ignoring the signs saying I'm not supposed to) and walk back.  I can remember the days at the old Noble's Hospital when it was on Westmoreland Road, and beer was thruppence a pint etc, the car park was absolutely tiny but I could always find a place in it.  I agree that something needs to be done.   

4 minutes ago, BallaDoc said:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if people are parking at the hospital for free and then getting the bus into town.  I frequently visit the hospital, and if I arrive before 9 am or after 5 pm I have no trouble getting a spot, but if I arrive in the middle of the day, say for a lunchtime meeting at the postgrad centre, I find the main car park full, the overflow car park full, the A&E / MEDS car park full, and I have to go as far afield as the Palatine Surgery car park, park there (ignoring the signs saying I'm not supposed to) and walk back.  I can remember the days at the old Noble's Hospital when it was on Westmoreland Road, and beer was thruppence a pint etc, the car park was absolutely tiny but I could always find a place in it.  I agree that something needs to be done.   

You must be experiencing particularly ill-luck...I'm a fairly frequent visitor to the hospital and have never yet failed to park in the overflow car park, which is my location of choice these days.

36 minutes ago, Max Power said:

This island is rapidly becoming a very expensive place to live, any advantages are disappearing fast.  

Yes.  But that is just a better reflection of reality.  The DHSC budget is overspent each year, so if increased charges like car parking are brought in, together with a decreased level of service, that just reflects what people ought to be paying and receiving now anyway.  At present, if the budget is overspent, that means people are currently receiving too much service, too cheaply.

But surely Doc the department should charge more for its core services - either through increased NIC or directly to those who can afford it. Charging people to go for treatment or to visit is messing around the edge of the problem as always, and is predicated on the establishment mantra that motorists are most easily hit, maybe because we're getting used to being shafted.

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

It's a good excuse not to visit friends and relatives in Nobles if it's going to cost a tenner for a two hour stay! 

This island is rapidly becoming a very expensive place to live, any advantages are disappearing fast.  

fat howard will be happy because if there are no visitors the bed blockers will get lonely and go home.

29 minutes ago, BallaDoc said:

Yes.  But that is just a better reflection of reality.  The DHSC budget is overspent each year, so if increased charges like car parking are brought in, together with a decreased level of service, that just reflects what people ought to be paying and receiving now anyway.  At present, if the budget is overspent, that means people are currently receiving too much service, too cheaply.

There are two responses to this, the budget is inadequate and as Stu says we. or those who can afford it, are not paying enough for the services we get. Punishing hospital patients by deterring their visitors smacks of a childish and selfish approach to governance. 

But surely, most people who have cars and choose to drive to the hospital, have sufficient money to pay the parking charge.  An exception could be made for people with disabled parking badges.  People who are too poor to own cars, or who choose to travel to the hospital by bus, would pay a zero parking charge. 

There is no justification for these charges. Once again fiddling while Rome burns. Pretty sure that one of the reasons they are always over budget is down to the excess management for what is essentially a small town hospital

Archived