On 9/21/2018 at 3:36 PM, alph3 said:

I had heard on the proverbial grapevine that they are looking at shuttering ISDN and moving existing customers over to SIP by the end of this year.......November was floated.

Thanks. That agrees with what I heard. 

We must use the same grapevine. 

The IOM has been way behind on carrier-grade SIP/VoIP for some time, certainly compared to the UK. The key difference is that carrier-grade SIP has been in the UK marketplace for years, as an alternative to ISDN - whilst both were available for new orders.

The chronology of telecoms here means that window is far, far narrower.  My experience so far, and anecdotal, is that from pre-sales, ordering and provisioning - SIP has hardly been plain sailing... It will be an interesting switchover...

They told me the end of this year. They came and did a survey, and I've now had quotes for an alternative connection using fibre. 

Did you not get a letter from them telling you all about it?

I doubt they'll get everyone moved over by the end of the year so they'll have to extend the cutoff.

22 hours ago, Manxman27 said:

They told me the end of this year. They came and did a survey, and I've now had quotes for an alternative connection using fibre. 

Did you not get a letter from them telling you all about it?

I doubt they'll get everyone moved over by the end of the year so they'll have to extend the cutoff.

No letter.... Only found out about when Wi-Manx called asking if we were interested in talking to them about using their service when ISDN goes. The guy I've been talking to there has been very helpful, MT on the other hand, have been crap. Haven't they realised that they no longer have a monopoly?

• 1 year later...

I've recently arranged to switch to a hosted voice service to avoid the ISDN switch off. But I've not see any hard evidence that it is being turned off. Only what seems like pressure sales tactics from all providers.

Does anyone know if it is definitely being shut down at the end of June? 

With the recent events will some companies have been caught out since engineers couldn't visit to switch to other solutions?

Archived