Summer TV

Chinahand

It is very middle class, and suffers from being more than a bit repetitive, but I'm enjoying watching Family Brain Games with my family.

I'm geeky, and enthusiastic for maths, and think there are few better things than working in a team to solve difficult tasks; plus I've pre-teen and teen age kids and so can very much relate to the families vying to be best.  My kids call them "try-hards", hands-up like Monica Geller off Friends, but to me they exemplify an ethic of work hard, try hard, be the best you can be which I think is highly admirable.

Its been great and a good life lesson to see the importance of communication, being willing to guess and brainstorm and throw out ideas; listen and be clear; plus the importance of maintaining positivity.  It has also been useful for my two boys to understand how useful the communication skills of a teenage girl can be, bringing a huge advantage compared to geeky self conscious male absorption.  

It's on i-player and if you've kids and aspire for them to challenge themselves there is something worthwhile to find, plus its fascinating to see the dynamics as things go right or wrong.

3 hours ago, Chinahand said:

It is very middle class, and suffers from being more than a bit repetitive, but I'm enjoying watching Family Brain Games with my family.

I'm geeky, and enthusiastic for maths, and think there are few better things than working in a team to solve difficult tasks; plus I've pre-teen and teen age kids and so can very much relate to the families vying to be best.  My kids call them "try-hards", hands-up like Monica Geller off Friends, but to me they exemplify an ethic of work hard, try hard, be the best you can be which I think is highly admirable.

Its been great and a good life lesson to see the importance of communication, being willing to guess and brainstorm and throw out ideas; listen and be clear; plus the importance of maintaining positivity.  It has also been useful for my two boys to understand how useful the communication skills of a teenage girl can be, bringing a huge advantage compared to geeky self conscious male absorption.  

It's on i-player and if you've kids and aspire for them to challenge themselves there is something worthwhile to find, plus its fascinating to see the dynamics as things go right or wrong.

Sorry China, but I never would have guessed.:thumbsup:

Watched Minding the Gap: An American Skateboarding Story.

Wonderful, but sad story telling about families, and dads, and domestic abuse, and being poor and 18 in the US, and how the street family and the freedom of the skate park, while a huge release from the stresses of home, is also poor at giving guidance on how best to living your life.

Take home message: don't become addicted to alcohol and weed, don't drop out, don't have a kid when you're 18 and don't beat up your girlfriend.

Archived