BT Whole Home Wifi

Once restrictions are lifted MT are coming to finish our FTTH installation, at the moment the fibre is coiled outside our window.

I have bought the BT Whole Home mesh trio set to use with the new setup. Has anyone got any experiences of using this mesh and have any tips or suggestions to share?

I also suspect that the 3 discs may not be enough to ensure decent coverage in our stone built property, has anyone got any discs that were surplus in their own set ups that I could purchase?

I have them (the full size ones) and they are superb.

An absolute doddle to setup and easily cover our Manx Stone house which is about 3000 sq ft and reach the whole garden as well.

No tips or suggestions, just follow the prompts on the app to setup and its really straightforward as even I managed it.  Use a bit of common sense when positioning.  We are three storey so I went for one on each floor and alternated ends of the house with the discs pointing back in if that makes sense?  If you do end up with any dead spots you only have to unplug from the mains and move a disc to any other plug socket with no need to reconfigure until you get the best coverage.

On 3/24/2021 at 11:50 PM, Howard the Duck MBE TBC said:

I have them (the full size ones) and they are superb.

An absolute doddle to setup and easily cover our Manx Stone house which is about 3000 sq ft and reach the whole garden as well.

No tips or suggestions, just follow the prompts on the app to setup and its really straightforward as even I managed it.  Use a bit of common sense when positioning.  We are three storey so I went for one on each floor and alternated ends of the house with the discs pointing back in if that makes sense?  If you do end up with any dead spots you only have to unplug from the mains and move a disc to any other plug socket with no need to reconfigure until you get the best coverage.

Thanks Howard, that sounds reassuring. Do you by any chance have a SkyQ system as well using its own Sky boosters to connect to a minibox?

39 minutes ago, Hillside said:

Thanks Howard, that sounds reassuring. Do you by any chance have a SkyQ system as well using its own Sky boosters to connect to a minibox?

No sorry.

I had Sky Q in my last house but didn't bother when I moved.

Give it a Google because they can be pretty flaky.  Fixed IP addresses on the sky kit are a good start

Thanks again we currently use two SkyQ boosters to enable the main box downstairs to connect to the mini box upstairs. Trying to find out if we still need these once we have FTTH and the Whole Home discs up and running.

Loads of references in online forums but easy to get swamped with multiple suggestions. Can't test anything until the installation of FTTH is completed though!

Edited by Hillside

Are the mini boxes in the same rooms that the BT discs are going to be?

If so, you can use the LAN port on the BT discs for the Mini boxes.

You should be able to inbox and set up your BT boxes now and either use your DSL connection or even just co figure and adjust the mesh network without an internet feed to do some testing 

On 3/26/2021 at 10:28 PM, immortalpuppet said:

Are the mini boxes in the same rooms that the BT discs are going to be?

If so, you can use the LAN port on the BT discs for the Mini boxes.

You should be able to inbox and set up your BT boxes now and either use your DSL connection or even just co figure and adjust the mesh network without an internet feed to do some testing 

Thanks, the Sky mini box is in the bedroom that is at the opposite end and a floor above the location where the fibre modem will be so I anticipate having to have a BT disc near it. Will I still need to maintain the existing Sky mesh to connect the Sky 5 Ghz mesh between main and mini boxes or can that be handled by the BT discs as well?

• 2 months later...

We had broadband installed a couple of months ago (Manx Telecom). Worked great up until this week. 

Noticed not the buffering, only for a couple of seconds, when going on Internet.

I have checked on the MT website for some guidance on how to check the speed no tool for it.

Can anyone advisement on  how to check our broadband speed please. Thank you.

9 hours ago, Apple said:

We had broadband installed a couple of months ago (Manx Telecom). Worked great up until this week. 

Noticed not the buffering, only for a couple of seconds, when going on Internet.

I have checked on the MT website for some guidance on how to check the speed no tool for it.

Can anyone advisement on  how to check our broadband speed please. Thank you.

http://speedtest.manx.net

• Thanks 1