Buying a car accross

GIBBONSGIBBONS

Hi, it seems absurd to have to ask this but it seems impossible to contact the DVLA in the UK and speak to a human being. Has anyone bought a car from the UK recently? I know you need to get the full V5 in order to register it over here, but what do you do about the UK tax? Obviously the car needs to be taxed in order for me to drive it to Heysham/Liverpool to stick it on the ferry, but the info online seems to suggest that I can't tax a car over there without a UK address? Can anyone confirm what the deal is? Thanks

My daughter purchased a car across taxed it in the UK with monthly payments with a IoM address got home after a couple of weeks then got a letter from the DVLA saying you can not tax a car in UK with an IoM address so she just had to cancel the standing order but the car was taxed for a couple weeks. 

• Like 1

Yes, it’s easy enough, either use a friend’s/relatives UK address - or just go online and setup a standing order, I’ve had no issues using my Manx address for that.  Then as an earlier poster said they write to you - by which time or soon afterwards when it’s Manx registered, cancel the standing order - I usually send them an email saying the car has been exported, I never hear anything further.  

As you say the most important thing is to get the full V5, don’t let the seller send part to the DVLA, most dealers inform the DVLA online anyway so the V5 stays intact by default.

Edited by Gorsh
  • Like 1

Are you buying from a dealer?  Is it taxed already?

I've bought a few over.  I always just drive it straight from pick up to the ferry.  If you're going to re-register it over here straight away, don't bother doing the UK tax.  The chance of getting pulled on the way to the ferry is infinitesimal.  

22 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Are you buying from a dealer?  Is it taxed already?

I've bought a few over.  I always just drive it straight from pick up to the ferry.  If you're going to re-register it over here straight away, don't bother doing the UK tax.  The chance of getting pulled on the way to the ferry is infinitesimal.  

You don't have to be 'pulled' to be caught. There are ANPR cameras everywhere now. Also, a UK-reg car has to be taxed to be driven legally on the Island. 

If buying from a dealer , there's a good chance the sale will be registered, and hence the tax cancelled, there and then. My last car was bought privately, so the first the DVLA would have known about it was when our vehicle licencing told them the car was exported. 

20 minutes ago, Bombay Bad Boy said:

You don't have to be 'pulled' to be caught. There are ANPR cameras everywhere now. Also, a UK-reg car has to be taxed to be driven legally on the Island. 

If buying from a dealer , there's a good chance the sale will be registered, and hence the tax cancelled, there and then. My last car was bought privately, so the first the DVLA would have known about it was when our vehicle licencing told them the car was exported. 

Yeah appreciate that, but the few cars I've brought over, I've never bothered with any of that and been absolutely fine.  Even when the dealer does register the sale, it likely won't be processed the instant you drive off the forecourt, giving you at least a few hours to get to the ferry.  I have been 'pulled' for UK Reg/no tax on the Island, but I had the car already booked in for it's IOM test, so showed them that and was fine.