Google Mail

Today I've had over 20 "delivery failure" type emails arrive into my spam folder on my google mail account. I hardly ever get any spam at all, as I dont publish the email address on any websites, forums etc., and I've only given it out to a handful of people.

All these supposedly failed emails look like they've come from me, as in the From: and Reply-To: is my email address, but the name next to the email address isnt mine. I dont see any attachments or anything, the only content of most, if not all the spam email is

name

mx.geocities.com/predators2324

Sincerely,

name

I've excluded the http:// from the link so the forum doesnt make it a clicky, I presume the site contains something malicious. Is this just spoofed emails to make it look like I've been sending emails out to people, or is there something going on with my google mail account? Like I said, I've had over 20 of these in 1 day, and I never usually get spam email here.

They could be either spam attempts or a mail server bouncing mail that was from your address (but forged).

I wouldn't visit the site through even telnet as it could be checking whether you're account is active if it is targeted spam.

Archived