Lots Of Desperately Needed Aircraft For The Island

FattunziKatten

The people of the Isle of Man were cleverly hoodwinked into giving up the Heathrow slots. Although a few made a lot of money out of that one. (Were the actual slots their's to sell?)

......and now there are plans afoot to extend the runways on this Island. I won’t list the reasons that have been fed as to why we must accept this as being a good move.

Better to just cut to the thrust.

Big brutes of aircraft need servicing. They are noisy beasts as well and the suitable airports elsewhere on the British Isles are busy enough with fare paying holidaymakers and the like. Besides, the folk around those parts have had enough of air traffic noise as it is. (You lot will have a surprise coming, aye, for example you thought the incinerator was just a rather large chimney that would be well hidden in the valley - ha ha!)

So anyway, we’ll make IoM OUR servicing ground. Great eh!

The Isle of Man. In the middle of the Irish Sea. Perfect. Just perfect.

And we can give you EXTRA JOBS that you so desperately need and everyone will be really happy. Don’t worry, you’ll get used to the extra noise. And it will be only occasionally at night, you know, emergencies and things. At the start anyway. Besides 50,000 people annoyed and remote is better than loads and loads more annoyed near a city on the Mainland ferkrissake isn’t it. Well isn’t it?

We’ll take a few young lads on with a name beginning with the “k” sound (an old trick that one you know) just to show we are employing some local folk - after all what's a few £20k a year in a multi-million pound racket?

And you can’t even complain to the UK Government can you? Your own (ahem) government will be well sorted with ego boosting dinners and such like. They know who to please that lot, once they get in. (....and it ain't you, spud)

Speak to you all soon now.

The people of the Isle of Man were cleverly hoodwinked into giving up the Heathrow slots.
Did we actually need the Heathrow slots? And I don't really see how we were "hoodwinked". Surely "Manx Airlines" was just taken as part of a business deal. The IOM and govt had very little legitimate input. It was pure business.

As a simple consumer, I think that we're better off with the cheaper Gatwick flights, through connections with ba.com etc. And the competition (post Manx Airlines) resulted in flights to Stanstead, Bristol etc (Euromanx and Fly Be). Much better for cheap connections abroad. IMO, And on the routes I use.

From my POV we are better served than we were when Manx Airlines still existed. But the airline business changes every few years and nothing is fixed in stone. I don't miss Heathrow. I like the cheaper flights, through booking sans travel agents, and better connections.

How much the internet has changed things over the past few years. Unless we're rich or don't often travel - so we now all use the cheapo routes and alternative airports. Who uses Heathrow these days - other than the last minute transatlantic rich? And if you are only flying to London then Gatwick is just as good as Heathrow.

Most people on the IOM do their business in Europe - or holiday in Europe or the european islands. I think that we are currently better served into London and Europe than when Manx Airlines still existed.

Marvellous conspiracy theory... but I understand the extension is needed simply to comply with new safety regs and will merely allow EXISTING aircraft to continue to use Ronaldsway.

Of course, the occasional 747 would make the taxi drivers and catering people moan even more, so well worth the effort!

Isn't it a good idea to extend the runway?

EDIT: and we could do with later evening flights into the island. Especially if you're trying to make a connection here from abroad via some UK airport. Given that the aircraft basically fly in over the sea I don't particularly see an issue wrt noise. It's annoying (currently) that there aren't later evening flights into the IOM from Gatwick, Stanstead, Manchester and Liverpool.

Or, as Stavros hinted, open up Jurby.

Did we actually need the Heathrow slots? And I don't really see how we were "hoodwinked". Surely "Manx Airlines" was just taken as part of a business deal. The IOM and govt had very little legitimate input. It was pure business.

Sometimes an IOM-LHR route would be better - I flew to Detroit in September and BA all the way was the cheapest option. Unfortuantely, BA fly out of LHR to Detroit at 1.30pm, so the only flight to get there in time for that was the 06.50 to LGW, which meant hiring a car (cheaper than the bus, even for one person) and a fairly long wait around. Also meant that coming back, my flight landed at about 06.30, but couldn't choose the first available flight to the IOM as the first flight out from Gatwick was too close to get there from Heathrow.

A flight in and out of Heathrow to the IOM would've been a lot more convenient.

Does anyone know which end of the runway they propose to extend? Any proposal pics available?

Thanks.

I'm not sure about elsewhere (Govt. Website, perhaps?) but at the airport (sneaky eh? ;))there was a big display at the top of the stairs by the childrens play area at least 2 months ago with photos, maps and reasons for the extension.

Basically, they either extend the runway and more importantly the runoff areas, or they only permit smaller aircraft to fly in and out.

It was apsolutely rediculous to have the main airport where it is now, Jurby is just a load of fields, and it would have been easy to re-route roads etc up there, and the fact that its all flat means that the sun catches it all day, so it is very difficult for fog to form, or clouds, hence why Ramsey is *always* sunny.

Extending the runway down south is going to cost a bomb, but it would be nice to travel a bit further from this place.

Stupid politics, everything is down south............. :angry:

Archived