Manx Historical Interest Thread

studmuffin

This thread may well die on its arse but will give it a go.

After reading the poor pubs thread, I was fascinated by a couple of posters historical facts, Duke of Athol living in the (now) Douglas pub, the roundabout collapsing by the police station with old cellars with bottles in it.

There must be so much historical info on the island available to share by posters. We even have fantastic photographers on the forums who could provide pictures to go with interesting anicdotes.

I know its a really generic subject but hey, give it a go.

Any obvious things we walk past everyday and never really noticed them?

That sort of thing.

like the idea

seem to remember that during some works in Douglas some big old wheels were dug up apparently from cable cars that used to go up and down Victoria st?

After the big fire up Bradda head burnt of all the gorse a big stone circle was exposed on the southen headlandof Fleshwick, not much info about it in guide books etc. (can be seen on google earth)

Bradda mines are reputed to have Huge cavens inside photos of those would be nice

A personal interest here.

Bradda Head, in particular the mines.

Obviously you can see the chimney etc from across the bay at the old MRS and with a bit of climbing you can get down to it.

The medieval 'monks holes' on the front face of Bradda are still there ( you can scramble down to them ) It's amazing to see the mining work they achieved with bare hands and very basic hand held tools. A good proportion of the North Bradda Mines buildings are still there but access is very difficult. The old walkway constructed to allow miners to get to the North workings has long gone.

The main issue being that the cliffs themselves are now very unstable, as I recall, Pete Geddes of the MMRG told me that they stopped ops there because of that.

A pity that they will all fall away in due course.

Laxey mine facilities and the wheel are preserved but Bradda seems to have been left to its fate.

I'd recommend that you go see what's still left whilst it's still there.

The Manx Mines DVD is excellent but it's nice to see it for real.

NB: The whole area is unstable and you are not allowed to climb in/down anything.

Pic shows the inside of one of the medieval 'monks holes' on the front face of Bradda.

You can see traces of the minerals in the walls.

post-4809-1221305980_thumb.jpg

A personal interest here.

Bradda Head, in particular the mines.

Obviously you can see the chimney etc from across the bay at the old MRS and with a bit of climbing you can get down to it.

The medieval 'monks holes' on the front face of Bradda are still there ( you can scramble down to them ) It's amazing to see the mining work they achieved with bare hands and very basic hand held tools. A good proportion of the North Bradda Mines buildings are still there but access is very difficult. The old walkway constructed to allow miners to get to the North workings has long gone.

The main issue being that the cliffs themselves are now very unstable, as I recall, Pete Geddes of the MMRG told me that they stopped ops there because of that.

A pity that they will all fall away in due course.

Laxey mine facilities and the wheel are preserved but Bradda seems to have been left to its fate.

I'd recommend that you go see what's still left whilst it's still there.

The Manx Mines DVD is excellent but it's nice to see it for real.

NB: The whole area is unstable and you are not allowed to climb in/down anything.

Pic shows the inside of one of the medieval 'monks holes' on the front face of Bradda.

You can see traces of the minerals in the walls.

go down quite often, it is a shame there being left to decay the chimney down below the tower is getting undermined more and more each time i go down, will collapse sooner or later.

North mines are easy enough to get to on foot so long as your carefull

I did wonder why they stopped work on the research H+S bolloks I guess.

tempted to explore myself just need a few planks to bridge the huge hole in from the first addit

Talking of mines . . . What were the mines that used to be up the top of Port St May. I have vague memories of when I was a child, standing with my parents up at Fistard, watching the old mine towers being demolished (blown up) - I think they were up towards the Chasms way?

I think you need a good trawl of Frances' manx notebook, that should keep you occupied for a few months :P

I know, I have it on CD and it is fantastic. Keep finding new things to read about all the time.

But sorry to go off on a tangent but does anyone knows where I can get hold of any maps of the Island or particularly Patrick, not Ordnance Survey, which shows the names of hills, rivers, glens etc, in more detail than the Ordnance Survey?

I use the outdoor leisure versions ( OS )

Two big separate maps, north and south for the IOM.

Loads of detail, names etc.

Got mine from St Pauls Bookshop Ramsey

There must be so much historical info on the island available to share by posters. We even have fantastic photographers on the forums who could provide pictures to go with interesting anicdotes.

Exactly the thoughts I've been having for a couple of years, so I recently teamed up with a friend to create a Wiki site dedicated to the Isle of Man.

I need to reply to a post before I can start a new topic, so I'll post details in a couple of minutes :)

Mark 'Ripsaw' Atherton

Edit: New Topic Started

Regarding your pic of the North engine house. - 2008_04220039.JPG.

How did you get down there, is the only way down past the monks holes?

I'd like to get right up to the North engine house while it's still standing but am I right in thinking the only way is down onto the beach on the southside then work along and up? That's the way I went but I've been right along the top to try and find another route but no luck.

post-4809-1221381910_thumb.jpgpost-4809-1221382343_thumb.jpg

post-4809-1221381891_thumb.jpg

Regarding your pic of the North engine house. - 2008_04220039.JPG.

How did you get down there, is the only way down past the monks holes?

I'd like to get right up to the North engine house while it's still standing but am I right in thinking the only way is down onto the beach on the southside then work along and up? That's the way I went but I've been right along the top to try and find another route but no luck.

post-4809-1221381910_thumb.jpgpost-4809-1221382343_thumb.jpg

I'm not aware of any other easy route down, the one past the monks hole is easy enough if you watch your step and don't start sliding down the scree, since the fire you can make out other zig zag foot paths heading down the cliffs further to the north but I'd be tempted to stick to the tried and tested path.

I think you can only get to the engine house if the tide is out so take that in to consideration if venturing down.

I'm not aware of any other easy route down, the one past the monks hole is easy enough if you watch your step and don't start sliding down the scree, since the fire you can make out other zig zag foot paths heading down the cliffs further to the north but I'd be tempted to stick to the tried and tested path.

I think you can only get to the engine house if the tide is out so take that in to consideration if venturing down.

Yeah that's the way I went down but the tide was only just on the ebb. Cheers for that, I'll have another go coinciding with low water.

have you seen the pictures of Bradda on here

Yes good site that, MMR does a good job.

Archived