Ram Raiders

partypolitics

Actually it was at the Clocktower Industrial Estate in Foxdale and it was on MR news at the time.

Unless there were two fork lift ram raids lately on different Manx industrial estates?

I discounted the Foxdale one because the Derry article does not say Foxdale. Anyway last time I heard the MR report it inferred police were looking for people of asian appearance not that they had actually found two Irishmen.

Read the Derry report again because it suggests that raid is older - not an event thats happened in the last couple of weeks (which the Foxdale one was).

To me these are separate events.

Maybe the Isle of Man needs a new investigative reporter, me perhaps? :lol:

Ok then - its quite simple actually.

Manx Radios news archive for 14th March reports:-

"Police are hoping they're closer to solving the burglary of commercial premises on the Clocktower Estate in Foxdale at the weekend.

A forklift truck from the first business raided was used to gain access to further premises, and an amount of cash was reported as stolen, along with a significant amount of damage to property."

Check it if you like (can't get a link)

The Derry article reports that the two Irishmen appeared in Court same day (14th March) on the other offence. So unless they were arrested and immediately appeared in Court same day (odds of that?) then this is another unreported case or linked to the Foxdale case but a separate event.

I'm happy to stand corrected Juan...but the question must be, did the police issue a press statement about Foxdale and not the South Quay attack, and if so, why?

The papers and radio stations can only report on the facts available, and are usually crying out for hard news items.

I'm happy to stand corrected Juan...but the question must be, did the police issue a press statement about Foxdale and not the South Quay attack, and if so, why?

The papers and radio stations can only report on the facts available, and are usually crying out for hard news items.

I'm not correcting you. Just dis-seminating the facts as I see them.

But to answer your final point "The papers and radio stations can only report on the facts available, and are usually crying out for hard news items" lets face it its a joke as to what does and does not get reported on the IOM. I seriously question whether some of the journalists writing for local papers live here or whether they've been outsourced to India and surf Google for news and e-mail stories back because 50% of what goes on in the Island never, ever, gets reported.

You get the news stories from your local pub or from people in the know not from the papers, but you sort of check the papers to see whats "made it" to the outside world.

And therein lies the rub... the bloke down the pub doesn't have any moral or legal issues to prevent him from repeating something he's heard in graphic detail and naming names - doesn't have to be substantiated and can just be wild rumour.

Whereas the boys and girls on Peel Road or wherever could only run a ram raid on South Quay story if 1) They heard about it from a source (I'm sure they don't have a South Quay correspondent who would be expected to know everything) and 2) The police or victim were prepared to go on record. In a continuing investigation they sometimes aren't.

Only the Irish....

No other nationality has ram raiders ?

No - we have locals doing it too! - But by the time I got the car fixed up again I was out of pocket.

Reminds me of the time I went over and took in a drive in movie - got so bored I slashed the seats.

<clown whistle> <Clash of drums> <canned laughter>

And therein lies the rub... the bloke down the pub doesn't have any moral or legal issues to prevent him from repeating something he's heard in graphic detail and naming names - doesn't have to be substantiated and can just be wild rumour. Whereas the boys and girls on Peel Road or wherever could only run a ram raid on South Quay story if 1) They heard about it from a source (I'm sure they don't have a South Quay correspondent who would be expected to know everything) and 2) The police or victim were prepared to go on record. In a continuing investigation they sometimes aren't.

I don't and never have bought that argument because you don't get sued for reporting on facts. Not anywhere in the world. If a robbery happened and a forklift was self evidently rammed into the side of a building then it happened. Period. Nobody is going to sue you for reporting it - but you have to be bothered thinking its newsworthy to start with which is half the problem.

I am not talking about regurgitating rumours anyone can do that. But there is quite a lot out there that is a) true and B) newsworthy but it just seems to be too much effort to bother.

Much of the MEA saga is now fact. The initial report has been published. Its not rumour. The events are backed up by clear fact and even if they don't want to lay blame or risk upsetting key people the saga is relatively well documented but does anything appear in the paper. No.

Archived