Connecting Pc To Hdtv

Hi guys,

I have had a HDTV for a couple of months now, and apart from the 360, that is all the HD content i am getting.

So i thought about mabey connecting my PC to my HDTV, to see what kind of picture i can truly get from my TV.

So to the question...... can anyone offer a cost effective way, of running my PC through the HDTV so to get a decent picture, and try playing with some nice HD footage. It has a VGA connection on the side of it, so would that be the route to go?

Any help as always appreciated.

Thanks

This might be a useful read, although it doesnt go into great detail.

[unhelpful reply]

You know that most PC monitors are 768 pixels tall?

If feeding from the Graphics card to a TV...

...wont the image just be displayed on larger pixels or 1 bit to cover 4 pixels (lower quality image) and suffer with a miniscule ammount of degrading from the cable connecting the two?

Are most PC graphics cards capable of crunching the numbers fast enough?

I ask because there was a link a couple of weks ago that went to HD content on the Microsoft site and I'm wondering about the visual difference between PC to TV and PC to DVD/R to TV.

Ive just connected my pc to an lcd projector via a dvi lead, Ive tried some hd clips and they run very nicely both 720p and 1080p using power dvd and windows media player, my graphics card is nothing special (9700 pro) so I cant really see any problem here apart from getting the correct cables etc, the pj has a normal pc input aswell as dvi, I can try this later if it's of any help to anyone.

Ive just connected my pc to an lcd projector via a dvi lead, Ive tried some hd clips and they run very nicely both 720p and 1080p using power dvd and windows media player, my graphics card is nothing special (9700 pro) so I cant really see any problem here apart from getting the correct cables etc, the pj has a normal pc input aswell as dvi, I can try this later if it's of any help to anyone.

If you can let me know what its like with the VGA it would be appreciated.

i think i will go down the VGA route, as the PC is in another room to the TV, and to get a DVI cable long enough, is going to well over stretch the budget.

I think i will be needing a new gfx card too, as mine is pretty antiquated, but have seen some VGA/DVI cards for a very good price for what i need it for.

Thanks!

I've got my 27" Widescreen LCD hooked up to my PC via a DVi cable. Can't remember of the top of my head what the resolution is that I'm using but it all runs fine using a 256mb 6600GT card.

I play BF2 regularly running most of the settings on high and it doesn't struggle with that either.

If you can let me know what its like with the VGA it would be appreciated.

i think i will go down the VGA route, as the PC is in another room to the TV, and to get a DVI cable long enough, is going to well over stretch the budget.

I think i will be needing a new gfx card too, as mine is pretty antiquated, but have seen some VGA/DVI cards for a very good price for what i need it for.

Thanks!

The VGA connection produce's much the same results with the same hd files to my eyes, so yeh I don’t see why not, good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Most people would not notice the difference between a VGA or DVI connection, I best I can remember its got something to do with true colour tones coming better through DVI as its digital, so needed by graphic designers and the like to be sure that what they see on the screen is what will be published.

As for the resolution, with most modern graphics cards, even up to about 4 to 5 years old, its normally the display not the graphics card that limits your resolution.

For example I've had an old Gerfore 440MX graphics card knocking about for a while, had it plugged into a 15" 1024x768 monitor, but just tested it out with a 19" 1440x900 monitor and it worked just fine, just make sure that you have the latest drivers from nVidia or ATI.

One more thing, I think HD files need a reasonably quick computer to run on, and you will need acres of hard drive space to store the files on, unless you happen to have invested in a Blu-ray drive.

Archived