Are You A Caffeine Addict Looking For A Closer Fix..new Outlet Coming Soon...

manxchatterbox

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GD the boss told a mate "its the most exciting thing I've ever done"...

He should get out more. If setting up another coffee shop to add to the other 8 coffee shops in Douglas is the most exciting thing he's done .... god that's frightening.

So that's TWO Costa Coffee shops in Douglas ... whoop de do.

Well I thinkk coffe shops are good things and are better than pubs and it just keeps you awake rather than do annoying/fighting/sick/hangover/etc which is the pubs way of doing things.

Plus I was in that one above the bookshop on the corner of Victoria Street and Strand Street and you can sit in comfy chairs and read books and they had a guitar player in there last time. Far better than a pub if you ask me and the people who go in there don't shout about stuff all the time like in the pub and look at you funny or something..

Just to say quickly that it even works out cheaper in the long run. Far cheaper and a better time.

So I'll vote for coffee shops if you ask me.

GD the boss told a mate "its the most exciting thing I've ever done"...

He should get out more. If setting up another coffee shop to add to the other 8 coffee shops in Douglas is the most exciting thing he's done .... god that's frightening.

So that's TWO Costa Coffee shops in Douglas ... whoop de do.

Well I thinkk coffe shops are good things and are better than pubs and it just keeps you awake rather than do annoying/fighting/sick/hangover/etc which is the pubs way of doing things.

Plus I was in that one above the bookshop on the corner of Victoria Street and Strand Street and you can sit in comfy chairs and read books and they had a guitar player in there last time. Far better than a pub if you ask me and the people who go in there don't shout about stuff all the time like in the pub and look at you funny or something..

Nah - nowhere near as good as a pub - at least you can still smoke in pubs!!

I'm sure the coffee shop would be much more active if it had a smoking area!!!

I don't understand all this expensive coffee nobishness. I mean just because a new costa Coffee is being set up some people are doing somersaults in Strand Street. How sad is that? We already have one Costa Coffee, so how is another setting up a few hundred yards away cause for celebration?

At two quid a coffee all of these places are a total rip off, and we are dumb enough to keep going back for more. They are only a product of current western economic prosperity .... when the economic climate changes all these places will be bust as nobody will be prepared to pay the vastly over inflated prices they charge for a hot drink. At two quid a day five days a week thats £40 a month just for a hot drink.

You'd be better down the pub. Even the Brewery don't have the brass-neck to charge over a quid for a can of pop when you can't find a coffee shop that charges less that £1.50.

I suppose it's a similiar thing to the "trendy" wine bar type thing that we had in the UK a few years ago - maybe some of the people who go to these coffee shops think it's 'cool' that they're affluent or daft enough to pay £2 or more for a coffee??

I also don't quite understand how these places have the nerve to charge the amount they do for their coffees, when there are enough 'greasy joe' type places around where you could get a decent filter coffee for half the price.

I don't understand all this expensive coffee nobishness. I mean just because a new costa Coffee is being set up some people are doing somersaults in Strand Street. How sad is that? We already have one Costa Coffee, so how is another setting up a few hundred yards away cause for celebration?

At two quid a coffee all of these places are a total rip off, and we are dumb enough to keep going back for more. They are only a product of current western economic prosperity .... when the economic climate changes all these places will be bust as nobody will be prepared to pay the vastly over inflated prices they charge for a hot drink. At two quid a day five days a week thats £40 a month just for a hot drink.

You'd be better down the pub. Even the Brewery don't have the brass-neck to charge over a quid for a can of pop when you can't find a coffee shop that charges less that £1.50.

..have to agree no neither do I.. just wish there was more fairtrade and less exploitation and profiteering on low paid labor

You're paying for the ambience and the lack of yobs - £2 a cup seems a fair price for that.

I'm with Matty though - I'd only go in one that had a smoking section (it's wonderful downstairs at Spill the Beans)

How can you say it is wonderful. As they told me, just look at the other people down there who are just liek you and addicted just like you.

As far as smoking tobacco is concerned you will notice that they all laugh for no reason sometimes other than excuse to loosen a bit of flem that has been annoying them and then they swallow it and have another drag of the ciggie as if they meant to be only having another drag.

and everyone is blowing smoke in the air as if it is artistic like a film stars used to do before smoking was dangerous for your and everybody elses heath. And I bet there skin is a bit craggy and i garantee their breath smells like nothing onthis earth.

Personally I would rather stay up the stairs and if people come from down stairs i and hope i dont have to go down stairs again but to be absolutly honest i probably will. :(

I'm with Matty though - I'd only go in one that had a smoking section
The concept of a smoking are is flawed. One smokes we all smoke whether we like it or not.

I take it though, you mean an entirely separate section with its own (albeit rather disgusting to many) atmosphere.

there are enough 'greasy joe' type places around where you could get a decent filter coffee for half the price.

Yes but, filter coffee is only good for the proles. For individuals like myself that actually have a modicum of good taste, fresh ground high pressure coffee is the only thing that hits the spot.

No. Im not joking. I have my own 500 quid Gaggia machine at home and have my coffee imported as you cannot actually get anything halfway decent on the Island.

Oh, I don't know Gav. My high pressure Dualit machine (better filter design than the two Kenwoods that preceded it) has turned me into the creme de la crema of fresh coffee, and all it takes is some Java beans from Tesco which I grind carefully and lovingly.

I'll swap some for yours (which I presume is one of those exciting beans ingested and excreted whole by iguanas or suchlike) and we can swap caffeine notes.

Archived