New Council Of Ministers

Addie

From Manx radio

The new Chief Minister of the Isle of Man, Tony Brown, has announced his Council of Ministers team to head the departments of government.

Four MHKs, Anne Craine, Adrian Earnshaw, Martyn Quayle and Eddie Teare, have been given ministerial positions for the first time, but there are no MLCs in the line-up.

Only Phil Gawne (Agriculture) and Allan Bell (Treasury) retain their positions from the previous administration.

The new Council of Ministers comprises Mr Brown plus the following nine Ministers in charge of:

• Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, Phil Gawne;
  • Education, Anne Craine;
  • Health and Social Security, Eddie Teare;
  • Home Affairs, Martyn Quayle;
  • Local Government and the Environment, John Shimmin;
  • Tourism and Leisure, Adrian Earnshaw;
  • Trade and Industry, David Cretney;
  • Transport, David Anderson;
  • Treasury, Allan Bell.

Mr Brown believes his team 'provides a good combination of experience and fresh input to take the Island forward, working in partnership with Tynwald and the wider community'.

He says 'the overall priorities of the Isle of Man Government will remain the development of our economy, the encouragement of quality employment opportunities and the delivery of efficient and effective public services'.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From Manx radio

The new Chief Minister of the Isle of Man, Tony Brown, has announced his Council of Ministers team to head the departments of government.

Four MHKs, Anne Craine, Adrian Earnshaw, Martyn Quayle and Eddie Teare, have been given ministerial positions for the first time, but there are no MLCs in the line-up.

I'd say thats a pretty good call.

Unfortunately Shimmin got the poison chalice of DOLGE for his sins in standing for CM, but no Braidwood! Thats the best decision going.

I like the guy already.

From Manx radio

Only Phil Gawne (Agriculture) and Allan Bell (Treasury) retain their positions from the previous administration.

The new Council of Ministers comprises Mr Brown plus the following nine Ministers in charge of:

• Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, Phil Gawne;
  • Education, Anne Craine;
  • Health and Social Security, Eddie Teare;
  • Home Affairs, Martyn Quayle;
  • Local Government and the Environment, John Shimmin;
  • Tourism and Leisure, Adrian Earnshaw;
  • Trade and Industry, David Cretney;
  • Transport, David Anderson;
  • Treasury, Allan Bell.

Mr Brown believes his team 'provides a good combination of experience and fresh input to take the Island forward, working in partnership with Tynwald and the wider community'.

He says 'the overall priorities of the Isle of Man Government will remain the development of our economy, the encouragement of quality employment opportunities and the delivery of efficient and effective public services'.

You forgot;

Bog Cleaning in all Castletown shitters, Roy Rogers :rolleyes:

You normally only get to be Chair or minister of one body, a ministry or a statutory board like Water, FSC, MEA, IPA, Civil Service Commission. Eddie Teare was parachuted in to MEA recently to sort it out. He is now DHSS minister, in charge of the largest spending/employing government department In that case he will now presumably be replaced/step down. Who else are they going to parachute in?

seems strange if he was doing such a good job at the MEA

To be honest they need him in the DHSS to bring in some financial disipline.

The MEA is going to rumble on and on for years without resolution he's probably done as much as he can at this stage.

Just out of curiosity what exactly do you think or imagine he has done at MEA ?

I ask this because electricity supply is a remarkably complex business these days and I find it hard to believe anyone with exactly no experience could make any impact at all.

The MEA is going to rumble on and on for years without resolution he's probably done as much as he can at this stage.

I ask this because electricity supply is a remarkably complex business these days and I find it hard to believe anyone with exactly no experience could make any impact at all.

I think he's been prepared to ask the questions and study the background objectively. As a person he is probably better equipped to understand than most other MHK's. Moving forward I doubt little will happen, it will rumble on for years, the taxpayer will cough up, and nobody will be charged with anything so as I said he's probably done as much as he can at this stage.

He'd be an asset to the DHSS which Tony Brown has clearly recognized.

'Exactly no experience' is the wrong phrase.

Had he been a shopkeeper or a pharmacist or something then I would agree with you. But the guy seems pretty clued up when it comes to £££££s.

You normally only get to be Chair or minister of one body, a ministry or a statutory board like Water, FSC, MEA, IPA, Civil Service Commission. Eddie Teare was parachuted in to MEA recently to sort it out. He is now DHSS minister, in charge of the largest spending/employing government department In that case he will now presumably be replaced/step down. Who else are they going to parachute in?

Many thanks for that John.

Just a small point though. In political terms, are you using the right phrase regarding 'parachuting in'?

Usually the phrase is used when someone is looking a bit dodgy in their present position and so are 'parachuted in' to a safe seat or something.

eg

Tory defector Shaun Woodward was 'parachuted in' to fighting a safe Labour seat (St Helens South) by Prime Minister Tony Blair.

I would say Mrs Crowe was 'parachuted in' to the Legislative Council. I doubt she would have survived this last election as an MHK.

I think he's been prepared to ask the questions and study the background objectively. As a person he is probably better equipped to understand than most other MHK's.

No problem with that one he is amongst the brighter of our MHKs.However, I still dont see how he has been in a position to make a contribution at MEA.

He has no experience of what is a very complex industry. Surely the position of MEA chairman should go to someone with experience of the industry ?

Archived