New Council Of Ministers

Addie

TBH, I would much rather have seen Eddie Teare given 'Trade & Industry' than the DHSS. I think it needs to be brought under control after Mr Downie's tenure and it needs someone with fiscal experience to do that.

John Shimmin could have been DHSS minister - a position that would test his Teflon coating properly and allow us to see whether he is suitable for the CM's post in the future.

I'd have preferred someone like Brenda Cannell at DoLGE - someone who's not afraid of making decisions and taking action when it's needed. I would think there'd be howls of protest from some developers at such an idea, though.

I also think Quintin Gill - who's worked in the department - would have been a better choice for Home Affairs (although whether he'd be able to work quite as closely with the forces of law and order is questionable.

My personal view is that David Anderson has been a very poor Minister of Education and, because I will now be dealing with him in transport matters, I hope that he has a better grasp on concepts than he appears to have had in the past (and that he's strong enough to resist Hannay's entreaties for the all-island speed limit.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TBH, I would much rather have seen Eddie Teare given 'Trade & Industry' than the DHSS. I think it needs to be brought under control after Mr Downie's tenure and it needs someone with fiscal experience to do that.

John Shimmin could have been DHSS minister - a position that would test his Teflon coating properly and allow us to see whether he is suitable for the CM's post in the future.

I'd have preferred someone like Brenda Cannell at DoLGE - someone who's not afraid of making decisions and taking action when it's needed. I would think there'd be howls of protest from some developers at such an idea, though.

I also think Quintin Gill - who's worked in the department - would have been a better choice for Home Affairs (although whether he'd be able to work quite as closely with the forces of law and order is questionable.

My personal view is that David Anderson has been a very poor Minister of Education and, because I will now be dealing with him in transport matters, I hope that he has a better grasp on concepts than he appears to have had in the past (and that he's strong enough to resist Hannay's entreaties for the all-island speed limit.

all good comments...it just makes me gawp when I think the DTI is now with DC...just wondering when and where the fun and games will start before it all gets to be too much and he realises its not the same as running Moochers or being a DJ....I just don't think he has the gravitas to be in that post..surely he should realise that and step aside..maybe he desperately needs the extra dosh..I hope thats not the reason he accepted, then again as they say money talks.

Being in charge of DLGE means that you have make some decisions that whilst right aren't always popular with the public. In my experience Brenda is a bit of a popularist and doesn't like upsetting the public.

Albert Tatlock has it in one..I'm very worried that's exactly the impression those who want to do business with the IOM will come to experience with a selof proclaimed Minister of Fun behind the driving wheel. Maybe on-line circus shows are the way forward. Bring on the clowns (oops no sorry they are already in place) :(

Archived