Central Heating

Slim

Totally mystifying, I don't know how these guy's actually sell anything, is it just a hobby for them? A good Multi fuel Stove will perform well on just about any dry, properly seasoned(12-18months) timber there's also the option of anthracite for more controllability, overnight burning etc if you wish, They are easily capable of heating an average house via space heating from the fire and radiators to the rest of the house, its not everyone's cuppa though, so a linked system combining an oil/gas combi and solid fuel would be best for when you sell.

If you burn "green" unseasoned wood it will produce a shitty black tar and ruin your nice new fire. you will need to season pine wood for two years for best results. Ash burns well from green.

Oh and as most combi boilers are off sealed system design, it is not possable to link in a solid fuel boiler of any kind as there wouldnt be any thermal overheat stat cutout.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mum and dad have one of these wood burning stoves, its looks great and puts out a lot of heat. They dry their logs behind the fire before buring them, will the logs still make the nasty tar stuff? I'd like to warn them before anything horrid happens.

Totally mystifying, I don't know how these guy's actually sell anything, is it just a hobby for them?

They do sell gas fireplaces too, so I suppose they dont give a shit what you go for.

A good Multi fuel Stove will perform well on just about any dry, properly seasoned(12-18months) timber there's also the option of anthracite for more controllability, overnight burning etc if you wish, They are easily capable of heating an average house via space heating from the fire and radiators to the rest of the house, its not everyone's cuppa though, so a linked system combining an oil/gas combi and solid fuel would be best for when you sell.
That is kind of what he said. The cheap wood you get from the forestry is lopped tops, so wont be seasoned. He says to buy seasoned logs is 25 quid a bag, and that'll cost you a lot more than gas to heat your water.

I guess if you have room you can season your own. That's what my wifes old man does, he has a rotation system and stuff for his logs, he takes it quite seriously.

The depressing part is, I really dont need heating that much, the fire and some hot water plus a power shower is fine for me. I won't be able to resell the house, or it'll affect the value. It's almost tempting to fit rads now and just not hook them up.

From what I've read and if I've got it right (but don't count on it!) you could maybe rip out the old fireplace and back boiler, put in a nice multi fuel stove and connect it up to the existing pipework for you hot water for starters, this would cover your needs, then put in a combi system but make sure there linked together for future plans, there is so much stuff out there about wood heating, I've been reading about it for a couple years now, it's like a disease! but like I say with a multifuel stove you can burn just about anything as long as you keep the flue clean. Have a look at this place, its interesting enough and maybe some food for thought.

Click

From what I've read and if I've got it right (but don't count on it!) you could maybe rip out the old fireplace and back boiler, put in a nice multi fuel stove and connect it up to the existing pipework for you hot water for starters, this would cover your needs, then put in a combi system but make sure there linked together for future plans, there is so much stuff out there about wood heating, I've been reading about it for a couple years now, it's like a disease! but like I say with a multifuel stove you can burn just about anything as long as you keep the flue clean. Have a look at this place, its interesting enough and maybe some food for thought.

Click

I think, slightly correcting what you've written, is I need a solid fuel stove with a boiler connected to a megaflow tank. Then a condencing gas boiler also connected to it.

I'll just have to see how the budget goes.

Ta for the link.

Click

I think, slightly correcting what you've written, is I need a solid fuel stove with a boiler connected to a megaflow tank. Then a condencing gas boiler also connected to it.

Ta for the link.

Wasn't that what I said? It's all in there just a bit jumbled up atm ;)

Ta for the link.

The earlier poster is right - system boiler with a megaflo (or whatever brand you decide to go with). I'm going with a megadflo which gives me the option of sticking a solar panel on when I get a bit more cash.

Wasn't that what I said? It's all in there just a bit jumbled up atm ;)

Na, you said combi, which I've now learned from this thread is a sealed boiler and tank, that you can't feed into.

If I get some kind of hot water storage tank, I've better futureproofed, can add me fire to it, and perhaps solar/ground heat later. Thats the way I want to go if I can afford it.

Underfloor heating seems to be a no go really, seems very impractical. You can't easily have it under floorboards, you can't put furnature on top of it, etc. Shame, but it looks like I'm stuck with radiators.

Yep, my clanger, I think it would have to be a conventional type boiler sorry, just knew I'd read it somewere,

Link-up makes it possible to link up your Solid Fuel fire to your

central heating system in such a way that you can enjoy the

flexibility of improved heating and control your heating costs.

Existing gas or oil central heating systems can be adapted or

extended. All of the benefits of dual fired heating, coupled

with the pleasure of a real fire. What could be better? Like all

good ideas, Link-up is really very simple.

A Solid Fuel appliance with a back boiler can be linked up with

your existing boiler in such a way that you use one or the other,

or both, to provide the heating and hot water you need at any

given time.

1) An open fire or closed appliance fitted with a back boiler can be

linked up with the existing piping system.

2) The existing central heating boiler continues to service the system

with hot water as and when necessary.

3) The radiators, adjusted to the desired temperature, can be supplied

by your fire or by the existing boiler or a combination of both.

4) Link-up can be installed so that the Solid Fuel appliance heats

either or both the hot water cylinder and the radiators.

The real advantage of Link-up is its flexibility. Whilst you are

enjoying the comfort of your fire, it can take over –

automatically – all or part of the heating normally provided by

the central heating boiler at no extra cost.

When you are not using your Solid Fuel appliance, the central

heating system operates as normal.

THE MAGIC OF A

REAL COAL FIRE

LINKED TO YOUR

CENTRAL HEATING

HOW LINK-UP

WORKS

FLEXIBLE HEATING

2 Channel

Programmer

Room stat

Anti-boil stat

Space heating

Gas or Oil

fire boiler

Neutralizer

Automatic air vent

Cylinder stat

Normally open

motorised valve

slim, yes i am sure, the diagram shown in your link is for a open vented hot water cylinder,

It's great to read other people trying to figure this madness out.

JCK got back to me and said....

"We are selling 40mm down woodchip from are site at peel."

I'm sticking to my gas boiler megaflo for fear of being killed by my Mrs

Ta for that.

Has anyone ever heard of a local company doing the biomass systems? I guess you could say we run on biomass currently, we burn mostly logs on an old back boiler system to heat our water. This actually works out very well for us although its hot water only and of course you can't stick it on a timer like a central heating system. I have heard of automated biomass/wood burning boilers that use pellets.

Talk to the guys at the Manx Energy Advice Centre. They've got a place near Shoprite in Chester Street and it's open on Saturdays.

They know about 'alternative energy' solar panels-wind turbines-bio-mass etc

This whole thing does seem to be a bit of a minefield (having had 2 plumbers round recently for quotes for new boiler (oil)/tank/cylinder/radiators etc in our new gaff. It was oil going to plan until someone mentioned today that the difference in ongoing cost isn't that much between oil & gas fuelled systems.

We're planning on having a wood burner in the lounge as well which, being couch potatoes, means hopefully in winter it'll be on more than the heating to reduce costs (having grown up in a freezing farmhouse but enjoyed a real fire).

I'm sticking to my gas boiler megaflo for fear of being killed by my Mrs

That's sort of my way of thinking now (except oil) after someone, *cough* brought up the gas cost thing and made me actually consider both. Think I would get skinned by her though if I properly suggest it at this stage though.

Archived