Sand Casting, Foundry.

dmrbike

Does anyone on the Island have a furnace capable of melting aluminium ?. Or better still a home foundry setup.

Thanks

Peter

peter as in pinky and the brain?

if so is there any piece of hardware you cant lay your hands on?

Mr M

Sorry Hangfire, you have lost me.

I admit my workshop is "adequate", but I have a casting project on the horizon, and it seems no one can do it over here. Looks like I'll be building that trash can furnace then !!.

sorry mate i teach at CRHS

your plea sounded like something one of my especially keen students would say

in fact he might be a good place to go looking as he has a working set of pretty much every piece of bizarre equipment i have ever heard of

i will ask him if he has a sand casting furnace....... (old tech i know)

how big do you need?

I admit my workshop is "adequate", but I have a casting project on the horizon, and it seems no one can do it over here. Looks like I'll be building that trash can furnace then !!.

in fact he might be a good place to go looking as he has a working set of pretty much every piece of bizarre equipment i have ever heard of

how big do you need?

You don't teach English then?

how big do you need?

You don't teach English then?

not me boss

i bet you dont speak proper english like wot i do!!

Thnaks for the help.

I know fort st services used to undertake casting, but not sure if they still can. I'll give him a ring.

I am rebuilding a 1976 Suzuki TR-750, which is an ex-works race bike (3 cylinder 2-stroke). The original clutch was "dry" (ie isolated from the gearbox oil by an aluminium casting) This has long since been lost, and no one seems to have one. They probably only made 10-20 in the first place, so this is not surprising !!.

I have drawn a 3D CAD model of the part I want, this can then be milled from wood on a CNC mill, and this used as the casting pattern. Envelpoe dimensions are approx 300mm x 200mm x 100mm.

If you want to be really clever, you can convert the CAD data into an IGES file, and have a sterelithographic model produced as the pattern.

www.zcorp.com or similar.

Cheers

Archived