More Money Than Sense...

lectro

To the uninitiated of the workings of modern art it may seem an article set for derision.

However, one needs to expand the mind beyond the personal limitations of the proletariat mindset.

Consider please the subjective soporific values of the palette, the subtle niceties of the proportions, to say nothing of the stark irony of the subject form. Modern art instinct may just be a simple appreciation of vestigial form which is indeed a trait of that era. One should not be required to to further verbalise the non-verbal leads provided in this abstract subject in order to fully appreciate and understand its intent.

post-5525-1179305630_thumb.jpg

Post of the year so far....all that from a noob too...nice work. [/sarcasm]

I love art and I thought I would tell you my fave painting of all time!! I would like to hear if other people have a favorite artist or painting, mine is John Singer Sargents "El Jaleo" - I remember seeing the painting and being totally captivated by it - and to this day I just stare at it: see here if you are interested: http://jssgallery.org/Paintings/El_Jaleo.htm

I also love Sargent's "Madame X" - the one that is displayed is very different from the original he submitted to her - her skin was too blue hughed which was considered rude and her dress stap was slinked off her shoulder which was unthinkable in those times - so he eventually changed it. I love the way she looks away from the audience which is a defiance that was rarely shown in women at that time!! rebel painting!!

Sargent and Hopper are my all time fave artists!!! lol!

To the uninitiated of the workings of modern art it may seem an article set for derision.

However, one needs to expand the mind beyond the personal limitations of the proletariat mindset.

Consider please the subjective soporific values of the palette, the subtle niceties of the proportions, to say nothing of the stark irony of the subject form. Modern art instinct may just be a simple appreciation of vestigial form which is indeed a trait of that era. One should not be required to to further verbalise the non-verbal leads provided in this abstract subject in order to fully appreciate and understand its intent.

Post of the year so far....all that from a noob too...nice work. [/sarcasm]

Oh I don't know. I wonder who is having a joke with who . . . .

I mean FRANCIS BACON!! Im not suprised his painting went for so much - he is prob one of the most influential figures of the twentieth century!

Influential within the art world certainly, but a "most influential figure of the twentieth century" beyond the world of art is surely stretching it a bit.

I rather like it.

The way I view paintings like this is in the same way as instrumental music. Figurative art is song, and the things in the painting are like the lyrics - they tell the story or say what the song or the painting is about.

But with instrumental music and non figurative art you nudged in a direction of a mood but left to your own devices to fill in the details.

So the details I choose to fill in are - this is a painting of a battenburg cake and those biscuits that are cardboard topped with two-toned dyed icing. I get the energy of a kids party, but one where the parents thought it would be great if the kids made the food themselves and it is turned out a bit crap. So that underlying it all is a sombre feeling of something that should have been a joyful celebration, has ended up a bit sad.

Of course Rofthko may have felt differently.

I mean FRANCIS BACON!! Im not suprised his painting went for so much - he is prob one of the most influential figures of the twentieth century!

Influential within the art world certainly, but a "most influential figure of the twentieth century" beyond the world of art is surely stretching it a bit.

Sorry yea i meant in the art world!

So the details I choose to fill in are - this is a painting of a battenburg cake and those biscuits that are cardboard topped with two-toned dyed icing. I get the energy of a kids party, but one where the parents thought it would be great if the kids made the food themselves and it is turned out a bit crap. So that underlying it all is a sombre feeling of something that should have been a joyful celebration, has ended up a bit sad.

I wonder if the guy who bought it for £36.7m really loves battenburg cake? He could have got a really good artist to reproduce it for less than £5k (who could have added some fresh cream and hundreds & thousands) and spent the remainder on a battenburg factory.

Not over keen on modern art and hate any art with people in it.

This is the kind of thing I go for - yes, I know I'm completely uncultured.

post-3388-1179397340_thumb.jpg

by David Dancey Wood

Mary Cassatt (for her love of painting women and children in a natural way) and James McNeill Whistler (for his surreal and haunting images of the Thames and Battersea Bridge) are also a fave artist of mine - I love all the modern american painters.....

Archived