Today In Tynwald

lisner

oh yes thats correct he did say that didn't he but then he almost lost his rag and it sounded a bit like a buffoon ranting on about wizards and witches and black and white magic until the others joined in and the speaker had to take his place.

Yes, I enjoyed the read - is there any explanation for the editing? I hope it wasn't due to any undue influences!?

The only criticism of it was that for all its observations of our MHK's chewing sweets, playing with mobile phones etc there was little insight into what they were, or were meant to be, doing in our ancient chamber - was it relevent, worthwhile - you portrayed our politicians only loosley engaged in the business of the day - but was the business of the day a worthwhile effort in itself - if they'd all earnestly listened, rapped their desks and asked questions relevent to the debate - would it have substantially changed much?

That is the critereon we must judge our representatives on and I struggle to get an analysis that gives me that.

- any one got any advice where I might get it? In the day time I have no time for the radio, and the newspaper coverage is abject.

We not only need engaged politicians - we need them to be engaged in issues relevent to our Island.

Your now deleted post showed our politicians unengaged, one hopes the civil servants etc are steering relevent legislation through their toffee chewing mobile phone playing hands - maybe, maybe not, I have no idea and short of wading through Hansards myself have little idea where to find out!

This lack of journalistic oversight seriously concerns me - am I just missing it? Or is it really absent?

There is plenty of serious stuff going down in Tynwald and The Keys and the Legislative Council.

It is interesting stuff, especially when they are dealing with matters that directly effect our lives.

It all needs to be interspersed with the reality of sleepy heads on mobile phones chewing sweets and flashing daggers at each other though.

I once knew a woman who didn't know who her MHK was, had never (other than possibly the occasional freebie Courier) read a Manx newspaper since her O' level results 10 years previously. She could not give a damn about politics.

What a wonderful carefree life.

Maybe our politicians think we are all like her.

Original Post:

Today in Tynwald

Well it was yesterday actually but I can’t resist the occasional snappy but obvious piece of alliteration in a title. So in that respect only, this article might be a bit like Brindley’s Breakfast.

Being not so mobile these days I had my ear glued to Manx Radio 1368 AM for the broadcast of Tynwald. Possibly the first thing I noticed was that Peter Karran is actually quite coherent these days and spoke rather more fluently than usual, to boot most of what he said made a great deal of sense.

I wondered if this was because, with over 20 years service, he has settled into his spot as one of the longest serving politicians - or was there another hidden factor? From my contacts in the Tynwald Chamber it would appear that his ease was more to do with the absence of his nemesis - Mrs Pam Crowe MLC. It would seem that never is Mr Karran able to speak in Tynwald without Mrs Crowe theatrically furrowing her brow, pursing her lips and pouting the more than occasional deriding “Tut!” at her perhaps less well intellectually endowed but infinitely more respected younger counterpart in the lower gallery of the Keys.

I understand that yesterday Mrs Crowe's presence had been replaced by a pile of rather large pink and red cushions. Mr Karran may have eyed the voluminous lifeless mass with some suspicion at first but once the apologies for absence delivered by Noel Cringle (President of Tynwald) had been delivered, the senior Onchan MHKs mind must have been put at ease. Or perhaps maybe he just isn't intimidated at all by any of ‘thems lot’ upstairs.

There was quite an admiring laugh rang through the Court as Peter Karran earnestly and apologetically explained how one of his constituents had the previous evening, without the slightest irony it seems, accused him of being “too much supporting the establishment”.

Chief Minister Tony Brown is experienced enough to know when there would be a break from the action and was happy to share his big bag of éclairs with David Anderson (MHK Glenfaba). There would be nothing quite like being caught unawares to suddenly have to speak in Tynwald and to the Nation, whilst a newly chewed éclair is binding the top set to the lower set. Some hoped, but the be-whiskered Castletown MHK has far too much experience to be caught out on that count.

I must say though, the sound of the sweetie wrappers came over rather crisply on the Manx Radio AM airwaves. And where better to put the wrapper than in absent colleague Tim Crookall's desk! (MHK Peel). I used to do that sort of thing back in George Gales maths class at Castle Rushen too you know!

But enough about chocolate éclairs.

David Quirk (MHK Onchan) was quieter than usual and I am told his main action and deed for the day was to instruct the Tynwald sentinel to track down and destroy a mysterious draught which two young ladies had been experiencing in the public gallery. There is a plethora of comments to be had here but I shall resist. This is not Brindley’s Breakfast.

Meanwhile, during the sometimes heated debates on Childcare, Medical Centres and Legal Aid, the 3rd, but not least, of the Onchan MHKs Adrian Earnshaw, was busy studying the newly published TT2007 Programme at some length. It is after all important Ministerial business. I often wonder if David Cretney, MHK for Douglas South and former Tourism Minister yearns for his old job back.

Steve Rodan, MHK for Garff and Speaker of the House of Keys has little involvement at Tynwald meetings as these proceedings are in the capable hands of the President of Tynwald, Noel Cringle.

I believe he only wears the customary wig in the House of Keys and goes bare-back in Tynwald. To have to sit lifeless for a whole day with such a wig on, whilst all around you your fellow politicians are waxing long and lyrical, would be simply too much for sleep to resist. It seems it is surely bad enough without the wig.

It is easy to look on proceedings with a critical eye, but I wonder what I would do to pass the time if I became bored, sat there doing my public duty. Thankfully for some, there is the invention of the mobile phone and who can resist a quick fiddle through the menus or even send the occasional txt. One of the politicians went one further and managed to strip his down during a debate. Those Nokias are difficult to suss out but once you master how the cover clips work, a good clean of the screen is like having a new phone all over again. A worthwhile and satisfying morning's work done.

Some lawyers in the Public Gallery were apparently waiting for the Legal Aid motion and busied themselves with tasks such as finger nail maintenance. They listened intently during the Childcare matter though. There is many, many a lawyer's buck been made on the back of a Childcare enquiry you know.

Up in the Legislative Council I believe there is still a vacant seat. The new boy (or girl) will be sitting next to Dudley Butt, who I am sure will look after them and show them the ropes. Being a new member of the Social Services Committee Mr Butt delivered a good clean speech regarding childcare on the Island and he clearly drew on some of his life experience as a member of the constabulary. The speech was enough to receive a hand written message of congratulations from the President of Tynwald.

Alan Crowe (most recently elected MLC) in the style of a wide-eyed barn owl, seems to have a constant look of amazement that he ever got elected back into Tynwald at all. No doubt all the memories of his previous term of office keep flooding back.

Until next time, ear glued to the radio . . . . .

c u

lisner

How can you tell that someone 'seems to have a constant look of amazement' over the radio :huh: ?

I took a good guess as he always has a look amazement on his face. But more so since getting elected.

A bit like Nancy Regan's permanent smile and raised eyebrows. They had to stop her going to funerals. I think that was because of all the face lifts though.

Archived