hi guys

use email on smartmail at work

constantly get spam emails, dozens a day. I mark them as spam but as they come from different addresses the filter does not pick them up

any technical way to stop them or is it just a case of using another provider ?

thanks in advancce

most things you subcribed to include your registered name in emails and therefore you can set you filter to be ultra strict and to only allow mail from trusted emails and mail which contains you name. Of course theres always the chance that something will be accidently put in the spam box.

I get about 2 emails of spam a day and have just leart to live with it. People on the interwebs are assholes.

You could -

Use a local spam filter

Use an ISP that provides filtering

Use a 3rd party spam filtering service

I use that latter, a mate provides the service on a commercial basis to local businesses, and I don't get to see or download any spam. It also blocks virus / pishing stuff as well

I seldom see spam since I switched to Gmail. The Google filters seem to be very effective.

My legacy and work email addresses; everything is redirected to Gmail now. So the Google filters take care of cleaning that too. Google Mail is great way to aggregate different legacy email accounts so that you get all of you mail in one place. You can use Google Mail with a normal email client such as Thunderbird. And as an SMTP server.

As Simon points out, Google's spamfilters rock. Another advantage for the more geeky is that you can set up Google Apps for Domains on your own domain and have Google handle your e-mail via their mail exchangers. (Hence you can have yourname@example.com rather than yourname@google.com.) I recently had a play with this and have been quite impressed, works as advertised. See here:

http://www.google.com/a/

Archived