Douglas Beach Seaweed

...can someone tell me why they keep piling it up and letting it wash back in a day later ? That fella in the Tractor has a job for life doesn't he ?

And can someone confirm that the breakwater being built is the root cause of all the problems ?

The beach really is a disgrace...

...GOMH*...

I wondered that too - everyday they sweep it into a sweet little pile, and the sea washes it all over the beach again next high tide.

Don't know about the cause, but surely they should at least be taking it away.

It stinks too.

I was looking at the tractors at lunchitme and wondering what they did with the seaweed. There are two trators down there most days piling it up. Do they leave it there or take it away for fertilizer, it does seem daft if they just leave it there to be spread about the next day.

As to your question GMH, when a study was undertaken before the building of the new breakwater, the Government were told by 2 of the surveys that it will drasticly change to tidal patterns to Douglas shorefront. The water in Douglas Bay would not be able to filter out and cycle as it should.

Yet they still built it and the result is a beach thats full of seaweed and is full of more shoite and tampons than the Tynvald back bench. It's also causing the Bay to have a higher seaweed,( Kelp/Rack ) than it used to. Due to the wave strenght being lessened.

Where did i get this info? Years off Diving and the pleasure off Diving with some fine people from the Marine Biological Station.

<_<

I was looking at the tractors at lunchitme and wondering what they did with the seaweed.  There are two trators down there most days piling it up.  Do they leave it there or take it away for fertilizer, it does seem daft if they just leave it there to be spread about the next day.

Apparently using seeweed as fertiliser for potatoes gives a very good flavour to them.

Sory to raise this thread when more important going on but last night seeweed was in nice tidy piles down the bottom of beach. this morning i was at the war memorial at high-tide.

The nice calm water has neatly and evenly strewn the piles up the top again, all thick.

The only way for it to go out to sea is maybe to pray the tide will takeit. but there again the man in the yellow digger and his boss will be praying it comes back in again which iy did.

1. / There is a painting in the gallery of the Manx museum of seaweed being gathered on Douglas beach for use as fertiliser.

2./ Seaweed gathering was (almost) a popular theme in 19th century painting. Eg - Paul Gauguin and Paul Sérusier (both 1880s)

a3624.jpg

seaweedt.jpg

3./ The Wraick Harvest - from Manx Quarterly (1920), reproduced at Francis Coakley's excellent website.

The abnormal prevalence of inshore winds at Douglas during the last two or three months has been of considerable advantage to farmers who cultivate land within a reasonable distance of Douglas beach, in that splendid opportunity has been afforded of procuring an abundant supply of very excellent and cheap fertiliser. Many thousands of tons of wraick have been among the jetsan left by the receding tides and wraick discreetly applied to Mother Earth has a remarkably wholesome and stimulating effect.
etc

Archived