Spice Of India - Ramsey And Douglas

inspector

The last two times I went to the one in Douglas I got two tiny pieces of chicken in this big vat of sauce, and to add insult to injury they "added it up wrong" and tried to charge me an extra fiver on both occasions. Once is a mistake, but twice is just plain dishonest - and no, saying "no that's right" then reading the order back to me really really fast does not make me pay out of confusion. I'm never going back no matter how much money off they offer - and I hope they are reading this and remember me telling them how to add up a bill.

Maybe you did....but what about the meal?? :cool:

I don't know what you could be on about WSAG :P

All joking aside, the meal was more than passable. I could well be talking out my arse here, but I have dim recollections of somebody mentioning that they swap chefs between the Ramsey and Douglas establishments, and the difference in quality is more than evident.

I had been a few months previously for a friend's birthday and she said her meal was awful, but again I had no complaints about mine.

A few friends of mine went in the Douglas one last night. Reckoned it was good food, good service and the bill was reasonable.

I could well be talking out my arse here, but I have dim recollections of somebody mentioning that they swap chefs between the Ramsey and Douglas establishments, and the difference in quality is more than evident.

I'm pretty sure this is the case, as far as we can tell (that's 'we' as in folks who live in Douglas and folks who live in Ramsey) - it's a total 50/50 lottery as to whether or not you get the chef who knows how to make curries properly, or you get the chef who dishes up a plate of oil with a random chunk of meat floating in it.

I had a total pig out from the one in Ramsey a little while back (curry, rice, naan, poppadoms) and it was all good enough, although I felt like the world's fattest bastard afterwards.

• 3 months later...

The Ramsey one has been consistently good for a while now, we had folks over from the UK a couple of weeks back and they had a big eat-in meal at the Spice and said everything was absolutely lovely, and that's including my mum who's the fussiest most quick-to-complain person I know. (She moaned that our wireless phones were crap and that the earpieces were too quiet, so I bought some new phones from Waltons and then she told me off for spending money on new phones when the old ones still worked.)

It ain't cheap, but if you're guaranteed a good meal then that's fair enough IMO.

• 9 months later...

Staff at the Spice of India are very friendly and I know that they work hard. Sometimes the food can be fantastic but more often it is bog standard and tonight's was awful! They had obviously run out of chillis today and tabasco was used instead on one dish. it reeked of it! Another dish that was supposed to have chillis in, they didn't even bother to use tabasco and it was about as spicy as a bowl of porridge. Awful!!! We didn't finish it.

I know they have problems with chefs, swapping the one good one from Ramsey to the Douglas branch but this was just taking the Michael! If they don't have the ingredients for a dish they should tell the customer, especially loyal customers who still come to the Spice of India on a regular basis just hoping that the good cook in in residence!

I have a biker friend over for the TT and he said that it was the worst curry that he had ever eaten!

Sort it out Spice! You're losing valued customers!

Archived