Age Of Conan:hyborian Adventures

immortalpuppet

I'm level 24 now as Priest, I expect there to be some serious nerfing coming soon. I can solo groups of 5-6, 3 levels higher than I am.

Questing is far superior to Warcraft, due to this, levelling takes less time and there is no getting lost.

• 1 year later...

Anyone still playing this?

I've just got into it over the last few days and I'm really liking it. There have been some massive changes and improvements to the game over the last year, which according to received wisdom have taken the game from the status of 'a bit crap really' to 'not so bad at all' - most recently the major (and snappily titled) 'Update 5' which much improves itemisation and gear.

My PC isn't particularly ninja - (3.2GHz Core Duo, Radeon 4870, 4GB RAM) - and it runs the game in full luciousness mode, which it has to be said does look spectacular. (Unfortunately I can't play in DX10 mode as I'm still on XP, but apparently DX10 mode is even nicer.)

If you're a WoW veteran (as I am) it's all pretty familiar stuff, but the focus is much more on combat and right from the off you can (and will!) have to take on multiple mobs at once, using combo attacks and suchlike to get by.

There's not so much in the way of exploration required, and I've read the game does drop off still as you progress through the levels (but not as much as it used to, where it really used to lose its way apparently).

It can be purchased online for £19 which includes a month's play time (you can get boxed copies for less than that though if you'd care to), be warned it's a chunky 11GB download however, so one to leave overnight, even on 16-meg.

Still early days so no idea if it'll be a WoW-beater or not, but I got a couple of characters to 80 on WoW, did most of the endgame stuff, and couldn't be arsed with it any longer, so I'm very much in the mood to give something else a try.

Also, the character customisation is much better than in WoW, so it's possible to make some nice looking lasses with cracking norks.

Played it for a month and it was really boring. I heard the subscription numbers have dwindled heavily as well

Well this is the thing, when did you play it?

It's the last two updates that have really brought it up to scratch apparently. I've held off even looking at this game for ages due to all the known problems with it, but the feeling now seems to be that it's been knocked into pretty decent shape, and there's been a new dude in charge of it for a while now who has a much better idea of what the MMO community want. (Lest we forget WoW was bloody rough in a lot of ways in its early days.)

Even if the game does run out of breath relatively early doors I'm not fussed, as that's the good thing with an MMO, when you're bored you just stop paying and playing. Certainly subscription numbers are well down on what they started with, but they've rationalised the servers so they're all decently populated.

Speaking personally the game kept me up well past midnight last night, which takes a lot these days, and especially when I know I'll be on sole child duty in the morning!

Played it for a month and it was really boring. I heard the subscription numbers have dwindled heavily as well

Well this is the thing, when did you play it?

It's the last two updates that have really brought it up to scratch apparently. I've held off even looking at this game for ages due to all the known problems with it, but the feeling now seems to be that it's been knocked into pretty decent shape, and there's been a new dude in charge of it for a while now who has a much better idea of what the MMO community want. (Lest we forget WoW was bloody rough in a lot of ways in its early days.)

Even if the game does run out of breath relatively early doors I'm not fussed, as that's the good thing with an MMO, when you're bored you just stop paying and playing. Certainly subscription numbers are well down on what they started with, but they've rationalised the servers so they're all decently populated.

Speaking personally the game kept me up well past midnight last night, which takes a lot these days, and especially when I know I'll be on sole child duty in the morning!

Hi,

It was well over 8 months since i quit playing it to be fair. It just didn't feel like a huge seamless world in the way that WoW did. Obviously the graphics were very good though, i just didn't find the game had that fun factor that Warcraft did. Although having just quit WoW again after coming back to it for 2 months, i found the game had really just become an endless grind of daily quests. It was a bit like having a job!

Archived