Class Divide

marcus

I was in Nantwich Cheshire, today..a rather affluent area of Chesire.

Parked in the main street (Very narrow with lots of listed tudor buildings)

Was an extremely top of the range Mecedes..slap bang on double yellows.

Now being a bit of a working class boy i thought..'That chap deservses a ticket'

15 minutes later as i emerged from a shop the Merc. was still there, but 2 Bobbies had arrived, checked the car for disabled permit etc.

Mooched up and down a bit looking for the owner, eventually one of them got his ticket book out, just about to start writing the ticket and his mate decides to make 'further' enquiries, i jest not when i say people were walking past smiling and possibly thinking...gotcha!

The 'Noble' bobby did a brief tour of the shops and found the 'Rascal'..

The owner of the vehicle (Rather fat,affluent looking) made this pathetic 'dash' to his car as though he had merely parked for 2 minutes to drop of a bag of goods for a charity shop.

The hard nosed bobbies were all smiles, no ticket issued.

Would old Carter in his 1992 Rover been treated the same?

What really pissed me off was one of the bobbies had holly on his hat..ho ho xxxxxxx ho.

Sounds like a prob with you marcus, money doesn't equate to class, it is totally unrelated to class

class is breeding, your forefathers and family history - like an old classic racing car, you can't buy it!

Is Bill Gates an upper class snob? - NO, but he's the wealthiest person to have tread mother earth

I think that you're making an assumption without really thinking about what you're saying.

Was an extremely top of the range Mecedes..slap bang on double yellows.

Now being a bit of a working class boy i thought..'That chap deservses a ticket'

Firstly, you make it obvious by the use of your words that it was a nice, expensive car. Then you go on about yourself being working class and you think that he deserves a ticket.

It sounds more like jealousy, you want inflict some kind of damage and make him pay. It's the same condition that someone has when they walk past a nice car that belongs to someone else and they drag a key down the side of it. They may never have met the person that the car belongs to but believe that they should not have something like that if they can't afford it themselves.

You had also automatically assumed as this point that it was a man that parked the car.

Now my point here is that I know many people that have had nothing. I wouldn't call them working class, I think that is an antiquated expression these days. People that have started with nothing an have worked very hard in their lives to achieve a comfortable lifestyle. Some of them have worked hard and bought their dream homes, cars or boats etc. They're not rich beyond their wildest dreams, but proud of what they've done.

Mooched up and down a bit looking for the owner, eventually one of them got his ticket book out

By this point, the suspense must have been unbelievable for you.

just about to start writing the ticket and his mate decides to make 'further' enquiries, i jest not when i say people were walking past smiling and possibly thinking...gotcha!

You sound disappointed but quietly confident that everyone else is thinking the same thing as you.

The owner of the vehicle (Rather fat,affluent looking) made this pathetic 'dash' to his car

The final blow, he was fat and he looked rich and got to his car without a ticket. You must have felt so let down. Maybe you should have slashed his tires in the fifteen minutes that you were waiting for your justice.

The hard nosed bobbies were all smiles, no ticket issued.

Would old Carter in his 1992 Rover been treated the same?

Probably not, perhaps he was remorseful or had a good reason. I think that your first reaction would be that they were picking on the little guy and you would probably take delight in telling them.

What really pissed me off was one of the bobbies had holly on his hat..ho ho xxxxxxx ho.

Yeah, compassion and holly around Christmas. It just isn't on is it. The rich, fat guy with the Mercedes should have been given a ticket!

Perhaps you've missed your vocation in life, I bet that you'd make a killer traffic warden!

I'm sorry Marcus, this isn't about a class divide, it's just pure jealousy!

Stav.

Yep I agree with Stav, you're just jealous.

This point especially

It's the same condition that someone has when they walk past a nice car that belongs to someone else and they drag a key down the side of it. They may never have met the person that the car belongs to but believe that they should not have something like that if they can't afford it themselves.

When some people I know find out I'm going on holiday they have the cheek to turn round to me and say "how can you afford to do that and pay a mortgage and run two cars, you must be made of money".

My reply, "I don't go to the pub as often as you, infact I don't go at all now. I'd rather save my money and go on holiday or pay a credit card off after a holiday.

Basically I still owe money for something but personally I'd rather have the holiday.

Jealousy or stupidity on there behalf for asking?

Just an attempt to inject a bit of balance.

What if a very rich person in an expensive car had been involved in a serious car incident? Would the law treat them the same as someone less affluent? Should the law treat them the same?

What jolly nice police officers.

Pity that fat bloke in the Merc didn't have his jugular slashed and his grandmother imprisoned for parking on double yellows, the selfish non-law-abiding posh git!

But a Merry Xmas to those old-fashioned gentlemen bobbies, what ho?

:rolleyes:

Nantwich...now if you'd said Prestbury or Alderley Edge...

You're right Marcus...all seems far too cosy. There IS a class divide, and it's alive and well in every area of life. I used to aspire to being middle class...now I realise it's futile. When I hear that bloody woman on the radio inviting her friend into the new conservatory, I relish the fact that I'm destined to die working class.

Having said all that, I take the point made by Stav about envy. I work hard to afford nice things, and could explode when some little scrote decides I don't deserve it.

I've been rich and I've been skint - the former was more fun, but the latter built my character.

marcus, do you think if that thar car bekonged to an MHK the outcome would have been any different?

It isn't a class thing, it's a 'not what you know but who you know' thing, to be perfectly honest I would say it was much worse over here (recent farcical goings on in the corridors of power for example) :unsure:

Archived