Carp Fishing In France

WilDDog

All the government snippets mention private course fisheries, which i assume are big ponds on some of the private estates as no contacts or clubs are mentioned, it's a shame because i would love to get involved/organise some in coarse type match fishing.

Still looks like i will be getting my reservoir licence soon(as long as all DIY projects are completed to wife's specifications!!!!!).

• 4 months later...

Hello.... the rumours are true about the coarse fishing on the Island. There are perhaps 4 or 5 waters, and they're only little ponds, what they call Dubs here. Yes they are privately run with perhaps 10-20 members on each pool, different clubs run each pond. I am a carp angler and I fish one pool. The other night I had 2, one at about 14lb and another nearer 17lb. There are a handful of carp here but only a handful, its about time the lake at Foxdale (Ard Jekyll) was made into a nice coarse fishery, it would do very well. Rumours are there are a few carp in it, and I've seen them.....well run the place could easily do a few 20's

• 4 weeks later...

Did a night recently on my pond but to no avail, there were fish moving aroound but the Delkims hardly made a bleep. Gonna have a nother bash soon, maybe a 2 night session. Luncheon meat over pellet lured the 17lb mirror the other week. Need to have another go now, getting withdrawal symptoms!

Luncheon meat over pellet lured the 17lb mirror the other week. Need to have another go now, getting withdrawal symptoms!

Oh God, this reads like the rubbish that appears in the Anglers Mail. You'll be telling us next about your camo gear, bivvy and having 3 rods out with bite alarms! The nonsense that's spouted really makes me laugh - you can't beat a bit of bread flake on the hook.

Now that moves are afoot to recognise that coarse fish / fisheries are present on the Island, what is needed are decent facilities that are available for all to use - not on a syndicate or need to know basis and certainly not waters that are full of carp to the near exclusion of all other species.

Luncheon meat over pellet lured the 17lb mirror the other week. Need to have another go now, getting withdrawal symptoms!

Oh God, this reads like the rubbish that appears in the Anglers Mail. You'll be telling us next about your camo gear, bivvy and having 3 rods out with bite alarms! The nonsense that's spouted really makes me laugh - you can't beat a bit of bread flake on the hook.

Now that moves are afoot to recognise that coarse fish / fisheries are present on the Island, what is needed are decent facilities that are available for all to use - not on a syndicate or need to know basis and certainly not waters that are full of carp to the near exclusion of all other species.

Well I wish he'd tell us exactly which pond this 17 pound carp is in, then we could all go and try and catch it.

So he can then turn up to find some nugget in his favourite swim! Face it, would you want that?

And there we have the beauty of the coarse fishing community.

Well I wish he'd tell us exactly which pond this 17 pound carp is in, then we could all go and try and catch it.

So he can then turn up to find some nugget in his favourite swim! Face it, would you want that?

Wouldn''t bother me in the slightest PK, it's the same fishing anywhere, beach, pier or reservoir if someones in your favourite swim (if you have a favourite swim/area) you have to go and find another one. Infact it happens quite a lot at the weekends.

Wouldn''t bother me in the slightest PK, it's the same fishing anywhere, beach, pier or reservoir if someones in your favourite swim (if you have a favourite swim/area) you have to go and find another one. Infact it happens quite a lot at the weekends.

True, we've all had to move on at some time. It would irritate me if I'd pre-baited the swim though. However I was indicating why Manxlad probably won't fess up.

You chaps need to be looking closer to home, i spent 2 years on the island bought all my carp tackle over on foot and was told there was no carp to be had...apart from the Koi in yer local tax exile's garden pond.

I met a guy that runs a shop in Ramsey selling books and hardware close to the bakery, came over in the 70's and had a number of big carp on the bank from some of your local waters, talked of 20's in the 70's! ...tried to get a pool up and running but no one was interested.

I confess that i wrote off about 50% of his claims for a bit of Billy Bullshit, but on my return to the UK and on meeting back up with my Carp chums (Have fished Yateley, Redmire, Readesmere etc.) They all talk of a discreet but top rank carp scene in the 70's....i'm sure the fish are still there.

Get yerselves out there and start in the margins...fruity boilies will be best. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Yea I think yer man in the shop was indeed filling you full of a bit of bully!! It would be magic if there was such a water/s over here but there simply is not. I'm afraid that the single minded government will make sure of that for a long time to come. Kerrowdhoo/Clypse would make a fine coarse fishery as would Baldrine Res, but the there's no way in hell that the Govmt here would even entertain the idea. Which in my mind is a travesty. They would undoubtedly make more money in coarse licence/day ticket/season ticket fee's than they'll ever make having them as game waters with just the odd few fishermen turning up at weekends etc and taking home fish that have to be replaced at a cost. Because of the numbers of folk here crying out for quality coarse angling they'd have no problem in getting more than enough ticket sales to fish such waters. And as for their precious disease free status how many people/business's would be affected by having coarse fish present on the Island!!? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put into place certain measures to help keep various trout farms and aquatic business's safe from any "contamination"! You name me one game fishery on the Mainland that has a higher £££ turnover than one of the more popular coarse fisheries in the UK....

It is to our downfall that there exists in the Govt Fisheries members of staff that are high up the ranks enough to prevent this ever happening, they have even threatened to find any coarse fish stocked in waters on the Island and poison them....."THAT" is the sort of people that we are dealing with, it disgusts me. I myself wrote a long formal letter not long after I'd moved to the Island asking what was being done about Coarse fishing here and expressing my sadness at the lack of it here etc etc.....I didn't even get an acknowledgment of receipt of the letter which took me some evenings to compile and draw up!!! It is to our advantage that there exist in the Govt Fisheries staff a high number of coarse fishing fanatics that we DO stand some sort of a chance of having coarse fisheries properly set up in the future ;) I have met and know several and know a few very well. Even one of the high up Govt Vets is an avid Carp angler, and exclaimed to me that he sadly missed his hobby and longed to be able to fish for them here.

As for me revealing where I fish...I have not been a member long and was invited in....how do you think my fellow members would feel if I passed on information that led to an influx of people turning up unannounced and even guesting the water? I'd be OUT!

Having said this I am leaving the Island soon, one of the contributing factors of my decision IS that I miss terribly the Carp fishing that I am used to. There are also many other factors though.

So...anyway. You want some names of places....well get out there and find them.....ever heard of Google Earth?!! You can see every little bit of water with this remarkable app. Check em out...they're not all private access. ;) There exists coarse fish, some carp, in the ponds at Sandygate, I myself am about to check these pools out. Ballagawne Dam (Ballagawne Rd) behind Ballabeg has the Mannin Angling Club fishing it, try n join up, go down on a Sunday and have a chat. There's plenty of small carp in there. There's a pond nr the Grovenor Pub in Andreas which has coarse fishing, private but go and have a chat with the farmer! The pond nr "Cross Four Ways" nr Ballasalla on the Southern 100 coarse, an old quarry which does have some roach, rudd and perch. Don't think there's carp sadly, I was scouting it the other day, its a bit overgrown but it looks lovely, about an acre in size. Eiary Dam behind Foxdale has a few coarse fish in, tench, roach, rudd not sure about carp. The big pool behind Ard Jekyll, Foxdale has some carp and would make a fantastic coarse fishery.

There ya go, hope this helps and if everyone was to start petitioning the Govt a little more they'd maybe start to realise what they might accomplish by opening up some of the larger Govt waters as coarse fisheries!!

Good luck folks

Archived