Strand Street ! Dear,dear

old_scrote

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wonder what shop will disappear next?

If it's in the uk then I reckon it'll be Wilkinsons, over here haven't the foggiest....but then I am wrong atleast 100% of the time :D

Fixed that for you Matt.

:P

Wonder what shop will disappear next?

My money would be on the little wool shop on the outside of the mall in Ramsey, it does'nt stick to its hours or days that its says its going to be open, shame really because run by the right person it would be a good little earner.

Why are the shops so quick to close? What the fuck did they do with their money when times were good and they were making money hand over fist? Surely profits should be kept aside for when times are shitty rather than spent by their directors or given as fat wads of cash to their greedy share holders? If companies were made to fund up to 2 years of their former employees' dole after they closed shop or relocated then maybe they'd think twice before shutting up and running away.

Why are the shops so quick to close? What the fuck did they do with their money when times were good and they were making money hand over fist? Surely profits should be kept aside for when times are shitty rather than spent by their directors or given as fat wads of cash to their greedy share holders? If companies were made to fund up to 2 years of their former employees' dole after they closed shop or relocated then maybe they'd think twice before shutting up and running away.

I they weren't meant to pay out profits to the owners and they had to saddle themselves with a huge debt of two years salary then maybe they'd think twice before they opened shop.

Have you actually thought through anything you said or is it just a rant?

I reckon the lease agreements that the landlords refuse to budge from might be contributing to the closure of these premises. I understand in general that the charges only go upwards year by year and are due regardless of whether or not the business is profitable at these levels of cost. I expect the landlords demand top prices for these prime town centre locations! If anyone had asked me for my opinion about where to invest their money of they wanted to be in property I think previously I would have said commercial retail, not private homes. Seems that in commercial retail leases, the landlord only has to collect the money and have an advocate on retainer to sue the tenant if required, while the tenant has to pay for everything, be responsible for everything, be over a barrel for 3 to 10 years etc etc. Was pretty cushy for the landlord. For all I know, some of these empty units may still be being paid for if the leases had not expired. Some of these units might be empty because the owners recognised that although the income could meet the expenses in the previous lease, that they didn't envisage that continuing to be the case when considering the next round of charge increases and falling numbers of customers visiting.

Yes I came back to the Island in May and was also saddened to see the state of Strand Streed. Whilst I do agree that the recession has been a contributory factor I think Internet / catalogue shopping started the rot. Unfortunately the prices in "the street" were just too high.

I reckon the lease agreements that the landlords refuse to budge from might be contributing to the closure of these premises. I understand in general that the charges only go upwards year by year and are due regardless of whether or not the business is profitable at these levels of cost. I expect the landlords demand top prices for these prime town centre locations! If anyone had asked me for my opinion about where to invest their money of they wanted to be in property I think previously I would have said commercial retail, not private homes. Seems that in commercial retail leases, the landlord only has to collect the money and have an advocate on retainer to sue the tenant if required, while the tenant has to pay for everything, be responsible for everything, be over a barrel for 3 to 10 years etc etc. Was pretty cushy for the landlord. For all I know, some of these empty units may still be being paid for if the leases had not expired. Some of these units might be empty because the owners recognised that although the income could meet the expenses in the previous lease, that they didn't envisage that continuing to be the case when considering the next round of charge increases and falling numbers of customers visiting.

Absolutely spot on. I had a look at empty retail premises on Strand Street last month and for each and every one the rent and terms of the lease we’re absolutely obscene. The only saving grace is that as footfall continues to decrease through Strand St a few of these landlords may eventually come to their senses and price at a more realistic level.

What is interesting is that while Douglas is in decline other parts of the Island like Peel and Castletown appear to be having a bit of a resurgence of late on the retail front. I had a rare foray in Castletown a couple of weeks back and I was shocked how many stores are open and appear to be doing well. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that two friends who have both started retail businesses in the last 24 months plumped for Castletown over their first choice of Douglas.

Unless something changes I can imagine a potential Castletown or Peel actually competing with Strand St for the title of the Island’s premier “shopping experience”.

Absolutely spot on. I had a look at empty retail premises on Strand Street last month and for each and every one the rent and terms of the lease we’re absolutely obscene. The only saving grace is that as footfall continues to decrease through Strand St a few of these landlords may eventually come to their senses and price at a more realistic level.

This also seems to be a problem in the UK and Ireland - "upward only" rent reviews. Absolute stupidity in recessionary times. I have come across a number of situations off-Island where landlords would rather leave a retail premise empty than accept a downward rent review. They do not seem to have heard about 'cashflow' or about 'property deterioration'. Ultimately it will come back to bite them as shopping areas run down and potential renters look elsewhere.

Strand Street has always depressed me - it could be a really attractive and smart shopping street - even maybe roofed in for all-weather shopping. But it is a wind tunnel and lacks the simple things that would make it look better (paint, flower boxes, cleanliness)

I think Strand Street is close to being beyond redemption. It’s been in decline for decades and too many retailers, predominantly the UK high Street brands have been allowed to butcher the original shop fascias and architecture over the years leaving a hotchpotch of units that is being highlighted all the more by a lack of retailers.

Admittedly there was never the sort of character as say your common or garden York or Chester retail areas but there should have been some control to retain character and a degree of consistency from one shop to the next. Plus the smaller period retail units are more conducive to the independent retailers and boutiques that should be thriving over here.

With retail in general decline anyway coupled with T’Interweb shopping and credit crunches it’s hard to advocate the sort of investment required to spruce-up Strand St but I think for some of the other Towns on the Island there is some real potential to capture the tourist and local pounds alike.

Hope that you are right about the other towns' potential to develop. Have seen Castletown decline and can only hope that Callow's Yard does bring some life back. What it needs IMO are some good quality 'basic' shops such as a good bakery, a good fruit and veg shop and a good fishmongers (maybe a combined one with the fruit and veg like it used to have). Art galleries and fine china are OK but are not core shops if a retailing are is going to thrive.

Your comments on the way Strand Street facades have been allowed to deteriorate into characterless mismatches with the architecture of the street is certainly part of its decline. I personally still think it has potential but needs a lot of investment to make it attractive to shoppers and a place visitors would like to come for a browse. The current economic environment can't help - mind you we keep on being told that we are doing really well here - no recession.

It’s been in decline for decades and too many retailers, predominantly the UK high Street brands have been allowed to butcher the original shop fascias and architecture over the years leaving a hotchpotch of units that is being highlighted all the more by a lack of retailers.

The worst offender for me is Waterstones, who seem to have renamed Strand St to The Strand on their shop sign

Archived