9/11 Or 11th September As We Call It

bluemonday

Terrorism has grown out of the 20th century thirst for oil and its connection with imperialism and post imperialism in the region, the issue of Zionism, Palestine and the creation of a Jewish homeland and the struggle between various arms of Islam.
I assume you mean terrorism in and related to the Middle East. Obviously terrorism is a worldwide problem.

IMO the ousting of the Shah by the Ayotollah Khomeni was probably THE pivotal moment.
I don't know how useful it is to refer to THE pivotal moments. Also I am not too sure whether we are just talking about events that significantly changed the course of history. I see there being turning points in history, but I don't know where to go to find THE pivotal moments. Really there are so many things that affect history to different degrees.

All of a sudden there was a state that was very anti-American, funded terrorism on a big scale in the Middle East, had significant oil resources, was Shia Muslim unlike Sunni Saudi Arabia and controlled one side of the exit from the Persian Gulf. 9/11 didn't start anything in terms of the tensions in the Middle East or the animosity between the USA and some states there. It exacerbated a process that was already underway (the US Embassy hostage crisis, the shooting down by the USS Vincennes in Iranian territorial water of an Iranian civilian aircraft, Lockerbie, the first WTC attack in New York etc etc..).
How do you link Iran in with the rise of Al Qaeda? I don't know yet because you haven't explained but at first glance it seems as if you are lumping everything to do with the Middle East with little recognition of all the factors that make this region so unstable.

Found it a little strange that they had an exercise in the Potomac river, involving shots fired on a suspect boat on the anniversary of 9/11

And not even advising the press, so we have Sky news all over it like it is a big issue (not knowing it's an exercise)

Only in America.

• 4 months later...

Well, America's presence in the Middle east, especially the Saudi Kingdom brought this attack on them. America and Co had UN sanctions on them for years.

America's presence there is only for influence, or sphere of influences. They do not want a middle east with power.

And yes, to add again crude oil is the interest for the survival of the American way of life, via opening the oil fields to they're oil companies or western companies in general.

Archived