Movie Downloads

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ans: Spot on.

1) I suspect you mean 'stealing' movies, as 'robbing' them would impractical (since holding say 'Monty Python's Meaning of Life' to ransom at gunpoint would probably be fruitless)

A good example of why it's difficult rely on personal interpretation. Robbing is stealing, not necessarily mugging. Dictionary.com says "to deprive (someone) of some right or something legally due".

2) The whole point of my argument is that there is no perspective at all. When something is demonstratively harmful to society then it should be avoided whether or not it is illegal and when something is harmless to society it can be practiced regardless of whether or not it is illegal. This removes ambiguity caused by relative moral values and interpretations.

Urgh. You pretend to be intelligent, but you miss the most basic points yet again. I give up.

No you are wrong, you can steal things, but you rob people - (http://www.learn-english-today.com/lessons/lesson_contents/rob-steal.htm) that link is for kids learning English :) They are just different verbs. If you stole me, you would have me in your house. But if you robbed me you would have my money in your house. See the difference?

I am not pretending anything, time and time again you just from argument to argument changing topic and angle of attack without any apparent motive or continuity, which is why I sometimes ignore you.

I do think your points are often interesting but you jump from point to point so quickly I can't always keep up.

I'm out too. I can't discuss something with someone when they're fundamentally incapable of telling the truth.

I'm sorry, Ans, but that's not fair. We can disagree on points under discussion; but it is not appropriate to call me a liar because I have deviated from your anticipated response.

It's a cheap shot and cowardly way out of an argument.

On a semi related point to where this thread has gone I would like to bring up the ridiculous state of our current Copyright laws by asking 2 questions.

1) Do you own either and MP3 player or Sky+

2) Have you ever copied a CD you own on to your MP3 player, or recorded a programme to watch later on Sky+

2) Have you ever copied a CD you own on to your MP3 player, or recorded a programme to watch later on Sky+

Sky+ sidesteps copyright issues by only recording encrypted broadcasts, then decrypting when you watch them.

Having said that, I'm not justifying my actions, so I don't see your questions as relevant. From my point of view, downloading movies via Bitttorent is theft, and if you do that you are depriving people of income. I'm not saying I don't also break that law in various ways from time to time, I'm just not justifying it with any sort of natural law claptrap.

The thing about the law is, it isn't optional.

I'm not saying I don't also break that law in various ways from time to time....

I'm not saying I don't also break that law in various ways from time to time....

That's not a contradiction Wazir. You can accept you break the law and accept the consequences. Or you can break the law but justify it with bollocks and so that your conscience is clear.

Sky+ sidesteps copyright issues by only recording encrypted broadcasts, then decrypting when you watch them.

Sky+ does not only record encrypted content. All of the BBC, ITV, Channel Five and Channel Four content is broadcast in the clear via satellite, for example.

I do not know about the UK and the IOM but the legality of home video taping copyrighted content was settled in the US during the early 80s after the Disney case. Ironically we kind of have Sony to thank for that. Back before they were trying to protect their own content.

That's not a contradiction Wazir. You can accept you break the law and accept the consequences. Or you can break the law but justify it with bollocks and so that your conscience is clear.

Yes or you an do both of the above.

Or neither.

What the hell kind of point are you trying to make.

Before there was any mention of reasoning you responded to my comment about having no compunction about downloading movies with the answer that the law isn't optional. Now you post that sometimes you break the law (so it is clearly optional for you - otherwise you couldn't break it).

How is that not a contradiction???

Having said that, I'm not justifying my actions, so I don't see your questions as relevant. From my point of view, downloading movies via Bitttorent is theft, and if you do that you are depriving people of income. I'm not saying I don't also break that law in various ways from time to time, I'm just not justifying it with any sort of natural law claptrap.

I am not trying to justify any thing just trying to highlight the major flaws in our current system.

I assume as you did not deny it that you have copied CDs to an MP3 player? In which case you broke copy right, and in the eyes if the law and the music industry no better than a pirate who has downloaded from a torrent.

By coping the CD you are still denying the rights holder funds as the legal method would be to buy a digital copy of the music right the included rights to use the track on an MP3 player. So it is still theft, you are depriving people of income, but its ok because you can justify it in your own mind in which ever way makes you feel better.

When it comes to copyright the law is most defiantly and arse.

Before there was any mention of reasoning you responded to my comment about having no compunction about downloading movies with the answer that the law isn't optional. Now you post that sometimes you break the law (so it is clearly optional for you - otherwise you couldn't break it).

How is that not a contradiction???

Simple, you're suggesting you can download without guilt. I disagree.

Bloody: I agree, it's still theft, I agree it's stupid, what I don't agree is that it justifies you breaking the law without consequences.

Bloody: I agree, it's still theft, I agree it's stupid, what I don't agree is that it justifies you breaking the law without consequences.

Sorry what?

Where did this 'without consequences' come from?

What at any point has anyone except you said that???

Clearly there may be consequences to breaking the law.

This is once again a case of you completely missing the point.

Naturally there will be fucking consequences what has that go to do with anything?

Jesus wept!

Also guilt is a personal thing so whether or not I (or anybody else) can download without guilt isn't something you can have a valid opinion on - because you don't bloody know do you!!

Naturally there will be fucking consequences what has that go to do with anything?

Jesus wept!

Also guilt is a personal thing so whether or not I (or anybody else) can download without guilt isn't something you can have a valid opinion on - because you don't bloody know do you!!

You're very excitable. I'm responding to the 'with no compunction' and the subsequent self justification rantings. The fact is you're a thief who's desparately trying to justify their actions, that's not someone who downloads without compunction.

Jesus wept!

You're very excitable. I'm responding to the 'with no compunction' and the subsequent self justification rantings. The fact is you're a thief who's desparately trying to justify their actions, that's not someone who downloads without compunction.

Yes as many posters have said; I am a thief.

Just as you are. Just as most everyone on here is. Anyone who has ever copied a CD on their mp3 player or taped a TV movie. Anyone who uses Sky plus.

Do I agree with that? no.

Do I therefore think the law is wrong? Of course it is.

Do I have compunction about ignoring a law I think is wrong: No.

Now I would be very interested to see how you think that you can determine whether or not I feel moral guilt (which is what a compunction is by the way) about downloading films.

You have stated in several posts that "you can't download without guilt" and "I'm (Wazir) not someone who downloads without compunction". Please tell me how in your crazy mixed-up world you can claim to know what emotions another person feels? Is your Guiltometer going off when you read my posts? Or can you read minds??

You have stated in several posts that "you can't download without guilt" and "I'm (Wazir) not someone who downloads without compunction". Please tell me how in your crazy mixed-up world you can claim to know what emotions another person feels? Is your Guiltometer going off when you read my posts? Or can you read minds??

I don't need to read minds, as you've been kind enough to explain your justification. That justification is wrong, in my view. You don't think you're doing anyone any harm, but you are. You're deluded, therefore your lack of guilt is based on a misunderstanding or a lack of honesty about what you're doing.

Archived